Featured Vol 1 No 1 Crete News from May 1941

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by GMac, Apr 26, 2019.

1. GMac

GMac Member

Hi all, this one was passed to my father by his father who served in Crete as part of the New Zealand Army of the day.

Appreciate any information people may have to share and what the value of this item may be.

Thanks

EB1623F9-E94E-41DB-995F-37C04CE4660A.jpeg DE519373-EB06-4224-B482-4EB4EC9BE9AC.jpeg

2. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

GMac, thank you for posting that. It is very interesting.

I know that you are pleased that your father gave that May 1941 newspaper to you because your grandfather served in Crete.

Pat P, Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  3. GMac

GMac Member

Thanks, it is still with my father and quite special to the family given it’s provenance. Awesome user name @yourturntoloveit by the way. Antiques and special items are all about that.

4. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

That is so nice of you to say, GMac. You read my mind from the day I figured out that "name" to use. ;)

Figtree3, Pat P, Christmasjoy and 2 others like this.
  5. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

6. GMac

GMac Member

i need help likes this.
  7. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Interesting to know that this newspaper only had four issues. So this copy may be fairly rare. That does not necessarily make it valuable monetarily, but it has some historical interest.

GMac, all_fakes and i need help like this.
  8. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

This was probably the last issue as the Germans on 20th May 1941, began a massive airborne invasion of Crete, the defenders, Greece, UK, NZ and Australia were overwhelmed.

The Germans raped, robbed, routed and decimated the whole of Greece, apart from one island.

I've been all over Crete many times, its beautiful and the people are very welcoming.
    I visited many small villages where all the menfolk , old men and boys were lined up and executed by the invaders.

After the defeat of Germany most of the victories allies even though broke, rebuilt Deutschland and its economy.

Germany now thrives and is the largest car producer in the world and is trying to rule Europe economically once again.

The Greeks are estimated to be owed €279 billion in German war reparations.

There is something very wrong about how that turned out.

komokwa and GMac like this.
  9. Nicola Wallace

Nicola Wallace New Member

Hi,

I have just inherited the same piece from my late Grandfather who served in Crete also. I was just wondering if you ever found out an approximate value to it? Thanks,

Nicola

10. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Hi, Nicola, and welcome to Antiquers. The member who originally posted this has not logged in to the site since June 2019. Thus, it is possible there will not be a reply to your query. I hope there is, though.

Nicola Wallace likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted