Featured VTG Italian wedding bedspread... what era?

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Ninabeth, Mar 30, 2019.

1. Ninabeth

Ninabeth Active Member

Thrift shop find. I've seen many of these online, but never one so richly detailed. Lustrous jacquard (rayon, I think) depicting the bride and groom, bridesmaid, and a host of adorable cherubs. The woven-in shading is fascinating... the whole piece is just delightfully over-the-top. Large — approximately 100" x 90".

Any opinions on it's age range? TIA for input!

(apologies for uneven lighting... bedspread is not discolored)

wedding-A.png wedding-couple.png wedding-gloves.png wedding-girl.png wedding-baby-c.png wedding-baby-d.png wedding-baby-b.png wedding-fringe.png

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Good Heavens! I didn't even know such things existed! Beautiful, & so detailed.

3. Ninabeth

Ninabeth Active Member

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I didn't know such a thing existed either! 1920s, I'd think (solely based on his clothing.)

Debora

5. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Wow that is stunning. Add me to the list of people who never knew such a wonderful item existed.

6. Ninabeth

Ninabeth Active Member

7. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

I had a rayon jacquard spread, but nuthin' like these babies! Wow - thanks for sharing...

8. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

I have seen the velvet ones (don't like), but this, this is so cool.

I could go complete bohemian decor, but I married tweed and I refuse to kill him with a house of crazy color. :hilarious:

9. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

It's sweet they have layaway of their museum quality textiles but really aren't charging crazy prices. Thanks for sharing @Ninabeth

Ninabeth and Christmasjoy like this.
  10. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

LOVE IT !!! ... Joy. :)

Ninabeth and pearlsnblume like this.
  11. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I had my first wife's grandmother's bedspread. It was green silk with pink and white flowers strewn all over. It was gorgeous. Used it for about a week. Her sister came to visit with her Boxer. After 15 mins of hearing snarls and growls, went in the bedroom and the Boxer had torn it to shreds.:oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:
    greg

Ninabeth likes this.
  12. Ninabeth

Ninabeth Active Member

Oh, gawd Greg... I hope that pooch had an appropriately guilty expression on it's face!

13. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

that was nice of your ex's sister to do......
    ya...i don't blame the dawg

14. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I'd love something like that, but my kitty would make a mess of it in no time :wideyed::wideyed:

Ninabeth likes this.
  15. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Oh, how beautiful! I also think probably it's from the 1920s, though have nothing but the style of wedding veil as a reason.

Ninabeth, Jivvy and i need help like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted