W. L. Taylor tryptic

Discussion in 'Art' started by Roaring20s, Jan 1, 2021.

1. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

This artist is William Ladd Taylor, I bought this many years ago when I was collecting Maxfield Parrish prints. I like the similarity to Parrish in the first two illustrations.

Overall size of image area is 16" x 10"

I have never come across this tryptic again and was wondering if anyone else has. The publisher, Edward Gross, made postcards and prints of these images. The images here, are the same size used for the their postcards.
    W.L.Taylor.png

Thanks,
    James.

2. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Do you think there's any chance that a previous owner of these paid for them to be framed together? It sort of looks like they were originally framed together, except the bottom parts of the three gray pieces on which the prints are attached seem a bit ragged and uneven. That makes me wonder whether they were framed later. Yes the decorative mat appears to be original, to me.

Roaring20s likes this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I wondered about that because there is no obvious reason -- to my knowledge -- why those three psalms would appear together. Seems a very personal selection.

Debora

Roaring20s and Figtree3 like this.
  4. Roaring20s

He did make other Psalms artwork. He also made Proverbs and other Biblical images. Many of Taylor's religious artworks were used in Ladies Home Journal. I'll search for advertising.

Just an fyi, the gray paper is printed with the excerpts that appear on the postcards which also are the titles of the artworks.

I think the ragged edges are simply deckle edge paper. The last one being atypical.

It's hard to see in the photo, but in the lower left of the beige base says ©Edward Gross Co. NY. It's assembled from bottom to top; beige with text, gray with text, color image.

James.

Figtree3 likes this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

And you've done your research on Edward Gross Co.?

Debora

6. Roaring20s

I started to, and became side tracked. They had a relationship with Scribner's and took that road. :)

I between house and yard work, I did find a few things.

Here’s a similar Baseball set of four by Gross…
    https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/1912-complete-pc776-robert-robinson-1829544992

Also, located a list of Taylor's "Psalms illustrations"...

Illustrated Psalms 1905 -1907

When I Consider Thy Heavens, Eighth Psalm

I Will Lift Up Mine Eyes Unto the Hills, One Hundred and Twenty-first Psalm

He Shall Give His Angels Charge Over Thee, Ninety-first Psalm

Children Are An Heritage of the Lord, One Hundred Twenty-seventh Psalm

The Lord is My Shepherd, Twenty-third Psalm

When I Meditate on Thee in the Night Watches, Sixty-Third Psalm

Illustrated Psalms 1920 & 1923

The Heavens Declare the Glory of God and the Firmament Sheweth His Handiwork

A Psalm of David

The Lord on High is Mightier thant the noise of many waters

Another outfit sell prints of Taylor's, advertising in Scribner's, December 1906.
    1906 Scribners.png
    James.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
    Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted