-W- mark on small sterling silver cup - whose -W- is it?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by SBSVC, Jun 20, 2020.

1. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

This isn't very important,but I am curious... In my previously mentioned bin of "forgotten sterling smalls", I found this little (3" tall) sterling cup (probably a mid-century cigarette cup or some such.)

I can't seem to ID the -W- mark on the bottom - it doesn't seem to match any of the "W" makers I know:

-W- silver cup mark.JPG -W- silver cup.JPG

Thanks for any input!

pearlsnblume and bercrystal like this.
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

SBSVC likes this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I went looking when this was first posted and found nothing, not even a hint. :(

i need help and SBSVC like this.
  4. Msalicia

Msalicia Well-Known Member

Whiting? I vaguely remember Gorham took them over.

SBSVC likes this.
  5. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Thank you all for trying! I really do appreciate it.

Msalicia, it's not Whiting (or any of the "other W's" I've seen before) but whatever it is, it's certainly hard to find!

Thanks again, all.

i need help likes this.
  6. Msalicia

Msalicia Well-Known Member

If I can remember what I have that has the same mark I might have documented it. If so I will let you know. I can’t recall off the top of my head. Too many files in there and I’m getting older.

SBSVC likes this.
  7. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

I've had a few small pieces with this mark, and believe there are probably a couple still hanging around here somewhere - can remember my late friend Pat and I talking about this mark, don't believe we ever found anything either. Sometimes it's just a mark applied by a jobber for a retailer, could be a department store, jeweler, direct merchandiser, etc. - if you look at mid 20th century newspaper ads, they're filled with simple, relatively inexpensive sterling, or sterling mounted items without a manufacturer mentioned (they sometimes do get identified, usually through an original box, label, catalog, etc.)

~Cheryl

SBSVC and i need help like this.
  8. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Thanks again, Msalicia, and thank you, Cheryl!

As I mentioned in my initial report, I don't think the maker is particularly important, but you know how it is: inquiring minds want to know!

This is yet another bit from that long-ago bin... I'm even more convinced now that I never sold that stuff because I couldn't ID it! It really doesn't matter now: I'm slowly but surely getting rid of it.

Thanks again, all!

Draft saved Draft deleted