Wagon of unknown origin

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Matt McGuinness, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Matt McGuinness

Matt McGuinness New Member

5D568F3B-48D7-4C90-ADF7-61DD8A7AFDC9.jpeg 74AF7A72-A8FE-4A22-A62B-0C9BC753A899.jpeg Can anyone tell my anything about this. It’s in amazing condition, but it looks like any identifying marks may have been painted over.

74AF7A72-A8FE-4A22-A62B-0C9BC753A899.jpeg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
    judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

judy likes this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

sweet !!!!

judy likes this.
  4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Looks a little too good to be true. Think the wheels and metal parts may be old with a newer box made to use them. More pics might help confirm this.

komokwa, Fid, Jivvy and 1 other person like this.
  5. Matt McGuinness

Thanks for your time!! I just added more pics

6. verybrad

Hard saying with all that paint on there. Lumber on the bottom is straight sawn so definitely old. Kind of surprised to see a three board bottom if truly old. What is the size?

judy likes this.
  7. Matt McGuinness

8. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I am a little hesitant to say old for the wagon The other hardware looks to be old but the wagon body is just too perfect to have age. Would expect to see gaps in the corners or some separation to the boards on the bottom.
    It just may be my eye sight but it would make me cautious.
    greg

9. verybrad

Would think at 16", the bottom should be a single board if truly old. Made with old lumber but I don't think original. Hardware/wheels do look good to be old.

10. Erstwhile

Erstwhile Active Member

My opinion for what's it worth, is that the wagon is an ambitious recreation, made from old parts. Probably wheels and axles from a baby carriage, along with some old wood put together. Even the handle appears to have been reused, as an original coaster wagon would have had one that a child could have used while seated. (Disclaimer: I'm old and usually wrong.)[​IMG]

11. Firemandk

Firemandk Well-Known Member

Looks like the real deal to me , probably redone..... seen a few in my 40 years of antiquing and toy show attending.... hard to say without doing some more digging. Wheels look correct for late 1800's / 1900 era.

s-l1600 (12).jpg

12. Firemandk

Firemandk Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted