wallpocket head vase deco-style POTTERY

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Steven S., Apr 10, 2017.

1. Steven S.

Steven S. Well-Known Member

This is a 7" tall deco-stylized head vase/wall pocket of a woman. White speckled glaze on manila colored clay. It reminds me of some of the California Originals pieces of the late 50s and early 60s. Any ideas? Thanks aaaaaaaDSC05377 (1).jpg aaaaaaaDSC05377 (1).jpg aaaaaaaDSC05379 (1).jpg aaaaaaaDSC05372 (1).jpg

kentworld and KingofThings like this.
  2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Just a guess,but could it be 80's deco?

KingofThings likes this.
  3. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Thinking this is older, maybe even 30's. But just a feeling from the photo, the back unglazed, etc. It looks to be in pretty amazing condition.

There was definitely a revival of this kind of thing both in the 50's and 80's, but not sure how popular wall pockets were in the 80's.

Kind of a cool piece no matter what the decade!

judy and KingofThings like this.
  4. UncleChuckTX

UncleChuckTX Well-Known Member

I flipped through the Perkins "Wall Pockets of the Past" book. Yours isn't shown in there, unfortunately.

5. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

A lot of these Asian motif head wall pockets were produced in the 1950's and 1960's in California. I'd start my search there. That date would also correspond with the colors/glaze. It's lovely, I would have added to my collection.
    Don

6. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

7. Steven S.

Steven S. Well-Known Member

8. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Napco can be hard to pin down. As an importer they got merchandise from a wide range of manufacturers. And sometimes they just used stickers which came off pretty easily.
    Don

Draft saved Draft deleted