walnut work table

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Illielee, Jul 1, 2019.

1. Illielee

Illielee Well-Known Member

walnut and rosewood veneer worktable.
    could you guess the origin? possibly Italian?
    I think it's mostly pieced together...the offset top is weird but kind of like it. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

808 raver likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

what little I know about furniture....I'm not seeing much age here...but WDIK !

3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It looks ... odd. The finishes on the top and base don't seem to match.

Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Two different kinds of wood....... Personally though, on a quick look, I like it!!!!:):) You'd have to watch how you balanced what you put on it!!!!:smuggrin::smuggrin:

5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'm guessing it was finished or grain painted to match originally, and someone got creative with it later and refinished it.

6. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

upload_2019-7-1_18-11-7.jpeg upload_2019-7-1_18-11-31.jpeg

Hummmmmm..?

8. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

9. HippAntiques

HippAntiques Well-Known Member

I actually really like it! Not sure of age or origin, but I'm thinking it's a library or parlor table? We have one similar, and were told it's a library table. (ours is Eastlake style)

10. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

in Europe those were small working tables for the ladies to stow away their stuff for sewing.

SBSVC likes this.
  11. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

dang sniped by @Fid by 4 minutes, when I actually knew that! *silly smiles*

Fid likes this.
  12. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

4 minutes can be so loooong....:happy:

13. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

well, it gets more and more stupid with all those new regualtions...

14. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is a cute little work table, but it looks like a marriage to me. The one in the Bordesholm link has the right proportions imo.

15. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Looks old to me. I am not sure about this being a marriage or not. As far as those legs splay out, the base could be for a top of this size. What I am unsure about is how offset the column is to accommodate that drawer. Looks awkward/unstable. Do the legs extend past the back edge of the top? Any signs that this top was ever mounted to something different?

16. Illielee

Illielee Well-Known Member

It's actually very sturdy the top being so light. The top seems older, but there are no signs it has been attached to anything else. The pedestal pieces have incised carpenter marks/Roman numerals including the block glued to the table top that the threaded pedestal screws into. This actually allows the top to swivel if set at the proper tension.[​IMG]

Ghopper1924 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted