Wanted To Share One Last Group! Philippine - American War

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by ScanticAntiques, May 13, 2015.

1. ScanticAntiques

ScanticAntiques Well-Known Member

Hello Everyone!

Wanted to share these with you, as I know you all enjoy photographs!

Just picked these up for my personal collection, and couldn't wait till they arrived.
    I just thought they were so special that I wanted them to arrive safely.

Anywho C.1899 33rd Regiment United States Volunteers in the Philippines.

Have not done any research on the names yet, as they just arrived today!

But thought you would enjoy them!

No questions on this one, just here to share! :) IMG_8151.JPG IMG_8155.JPG IMG_8156.JPG IMG_8158.JPG IMG_8159.JPG

cxgirl and KingofThings like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Spanish-American War, not Philippine-American. Same War in lots of different locations. ;)

KingofThings likes this.
  3. ScanticAntiques

I believe they call it the "Philipine Insurection" these days. Which lasted from 1899-1902 from my understanding. But don't know much more than the little blurb o read when I purchased them. Looking forward to finding out more!

KingofThings likes this.
  4. Bakersgma

KingofThings likes this.
  5. ScanticAntiques

Oops! Yeah looks like it says 1st Battalion 33rd Infantry USV(not regiment) that's my mistake.

KingofThings likes this.
  6. ScanticAntiques

7. Bakersgma

Interesting. I had not heard of the term "Philippine War" (or Insurrection) before, but it seems I should remember it now. :oops:

ScanticAntiques and KingofThings like this.
  8. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

9. Bakersgma

KingofThings and ScanticAntiques like this.
  10. ScanticAntiques

I wasn't aware of that! That's really interesting! Thank you for the link! I really appreciate it!

I'm looking forward to researching the names on the bottom of the cards. I think it should be a bit easier since they give the Company "B". Maybe I can find a muster list :)

KingofThings likes this.
  11. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

The 'Boogie Woogie Bugle boy'!!!!! ;)

ScanticAntiques likes this.
  12. Bakersgma

You're welcome, Scantic! I found another article on the Army Military History site about the Battle of San Jacinto. It had a "related link" to the 33rd Volunteer Infantry that I was hoping might have muster info. Unfortunately the link didn't work for me.

13. Bakersgma

And I've already checked Ancestry - the only collections they have for that period are "regular" Army units and the New York Volunteers.

14. ScanticAntiques

Awww Thank you so much for checking! I really appreciate it! I did a brief search over the past 15mins and I found some other states muster lists for the time period but unfortunately not that unit. I'll have to keep searching and keep my fingers crossed ;)

KingofThings likes this.
  15. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Nice that the pix have names of the troopers, and legible too. You could spend weeks just researching each person, then learn about their area of operations in the Philippines, assuming they spent most of their time in one area. When you can put names to the locals shown in the photos, you are getting near the end of that project. That may require a visit to the area.

Bakersgma and KingofThings like this.
  16. ScanticAntiques

For sure,

And for the most part legible! :) IMG_8155.JPG IMG_8156.JPG IMG_8158.JPG IMG_8159.JPG

KingofThings likes this.
  17. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

The last pic is interesting with the mention of the "Mosquito Fleet." I believe the Mosquito Fleet was a collection of gunboats and other small vessels that operated offshore patrol during the Phillipine insurrection. The vessels were mainly bought from Spain after the Spanish American War. 3 of the most famous admirals of WWII got their start in the Mosquito Fleet that operated in the Philippines, Admiral Chester Nimitz , commander of the whole Pacific fleet during WWII; Admiral Leahy, Chief of Staff of the Navy during WWII; and Admiral John S. McCain, who "commanded the carrier fleet during WWII" and the grandfather of Sen. John McCain.

http://www.morolandhistory.com/06.PG-Mosquito Fleet/mosquito_fleet.htm
    https://books.google.com/books?id=_sMEwwkl-NcC&pg=PA463&lpg=PA463&dq=mosquito+fleet,+philippines+insurrection&source=bl&ots=W7E5uzdKmg&sig=xjHRq3oax7z3IQfq1Drj_zFLEt4&hl=en&sa=X&ei=48ZUVfDFBcGfgwSP84CoDw&ved=0CCgQ6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q=mosquito fleet, philippines insurrection&f=false

During WWII, the "Mosquito Fleet" of the Phillipines was the PT boats, like JFK's PT 109.

--- Susan

18. Bakersgma

Very interesting, Susan!

Around here, when you hear "Mosquito Fleet" it's a reference to the early Puget Sound ferry fleet.

19. Ladybranch

I also thought it was interesting to see the mention of the a"Mosquito Fleet" with these army soldiers. Of course they may be Marines, which would better explain the mention of ships. On further research found the mention that the Army as well as the Navy manned the Spanish gunboats:

"Many of the captured Spanish gunboats used in the Philippine–American War were manned by United States Army troops and operated together with United States Navy forces."

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asiatic_Station#Philippine.E2.80.93American_War

Too bad none of the pics are of Navy officers like Nimitz, Leahy or McCain. Boy, that McCain family has quite a Naval history.

4 Star Admiral John S. McCain, Sr. (1887-1946) WWII Commander of the Carrier Fleet Pacific, etc
    4 Star Admiral John S. McCain, Jr. ( 1911-1981) US Pacific Command, etc...
    Captain, Sen. John S. McCain, (1936- ) Navy pilot off of aircrafts carriers during Vietnam, POW for 5 1/2 yrs brutally beaten repeatedly in the "Hanoi Hilton", silver star, bronze star, etc...
    John S. McCain, IV, also graduated from the Naval Academy like his great grandfather, grandfather, and father.

--- Susan

20. Ladybranch

>"Mosquito Fleet" it's a reference to the early Puget Sound ferry fleet.<

I have hear the the term "Mosquito Fleet" before, but seems it was in a derogatory sense like a small inept marine force in the same sense of the phrase keystone cops - incompetent policemen.

--- Susan

Draft saved Draft deleted