Featured Wanted to show you my thrift store find yesterday - cool, bronze NYC skyline sculpture!

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Feb 26, 2021.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this yesterday - and paid $100(!) for it - at a thrift store. It's bronze & a sculpture of the New York City skyline circa 1993 (twin towers are there!).

It was created by Gabriel Yantorno - and I like how he made it round; it's suppose to represent the planet!

Thanks for looking!

ART SCULPTURE BRONZE NEW YORK CITY SKYLINE BY YANTORNO 1AAZZ.JPG ART SCULPTURE BRONZE NEW YORK CITY SKYLINE BY YANTORNO 3AAZZ.JPG ART SCULPTURE BRONZE NEW YORK CITY SKYLINE BY YANTORNO 5AaAZZ.JPG ART SCULPTURE BRONZE NEW YORK CITY SKYLINE BY YANTORNO 4AAZZ.JPG ART SCULPTURE BRONZE NEW YORK CITY SKYLINE BY YANTORNO 7AAZZ.JPG ART SCULPTURE BRONZE NEW YORK CITY SKYLINE BY YANTORNO 8AAZZ.JPG ART SCULPTURE BRONZE NEW YORK CITY SKYLINE BY YANTORNO 8AAAZZ.JPG

elarnia, KSW, Any Jewelry and 12 others like this.
  2. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I'm confused, the twin towers in 1933? Creative license??

judy and KSW like this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Date above is 1993, not 33. ;)

judy and KSW like this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I think that's fun.

Interestingly, Gabriel Yantorno's one of those artists about whom nothing is found on the internet except a few examples of his recently sold work, all using the same personal descriptor ("well-known Argentinian-American artist.") Guess he does exist; found this on Google Argentina.

Debora

Screen Shot 2021-02-27 at 1.06.54 PM.png

Drew and KSW like this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It's signed "Yantorno." How did you connect that to Gabriel Yantorno? I think there could be some confusion somewhere. There's an Argentinian artist named Gabriel Grün Yantorno who's a figurative painter but he goes by Gabriel Grün (Grün being his father's last name and Yantorno being his mother's.) You can see his work here. Doesn't appear that he produces sculpture.

http://gabrielgrun.blogspot.com

Debora

Danijela Pope, DragonflyWink and KSW like this.
  6. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I think maybe there was a typo since corrected. I recall seeing 1933, too.

There are a number of similar looking bronze/blue sculpture signed "Yantorno" pieces on Ebay, no idea but they all say "Gabriel Yantorno". Also several under sold. Who knows whether correct.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
    DragonflyWink and KSW like this.
  7. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I only saw the 1993 numbers, but it could have been the others and corrected.

As for the "sculpture," I'm not a fan. I don't think I would have guessed it was supposed to be NY.

Lucille.b likes this.
  8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Hum... I did find another Argentine artist, Graciela Martínez Yantorno, a sculptor. She produced this medal for the Argentine government in 1980. The signature is set though, not hand drawn, so can't also credit her as maker of the other Argentine medal above which has the same signature as your piece. Still, hard to image more than one Argentine artist making medals.

http://www.moviarg.com/medallas/MHRP.html

Debora

Screen Shot 2021-02-27 at 4.46.57 PM.png

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
    DragonflyWink likes this.
  9. mmarco102

mmarco102 Well-Known Member

10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Think just a straw-grasp after a quick internet search. Gabriel Grün signs his work (paintings) with a triangular monogram. (See lower right. Sometimes it is embellished.)

Debora

surrealism-art-for-sale-1000x649.jpg

Danijela Pope and DragonflyWink like this.
  11. journeymagazine

I got his name by searching & finding 2 other ones like mine that had sold & both said it was by him?

12. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

But you understand that sales descriptions are often unreliable, frequently filled with inaccuracies resulting from poorly done research, and subsequently spread online - right?

Debora has done quite a bit of work for you, showing the blog of the originally presumed artist, which makes him seem unlikely as the maker, and then found someone who actually works in bronze, in a similar style to your piece (even a city skyline present), with a very similar signature...

~Cheryl

aaroncab, Debora and Danijela Pope like this.
  13. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Misinformation on the internet? Say it isn't so!

14. Marie Forjan

OMG! What a dummy I am :eek:

Debora likes this.
  15. journeymagazine

I am going to contact her to check!

16. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I couldn't find any contact information for her. But you could easily contact Grün's gallery to confirm they're not works by him.

Debora

17. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

@Marie Forjan check my note above. I think there was a typo that got corrected.

wiscbirddog likes this.
  18. Marie Forjan

Thank goodness! I thought I was loosing it :confused:

Draft saved Draft deleted