War of 1812 sword?

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by kotkinjs1, Jun 24, 2017.

1. kotkinjs1

kotkinjs1 New Member

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me how I'd go about getting a sword authenticated or evaluated? What I seem to have is a standard French Infantry Briquet sword. However, it's engraved with "Jackson 8 Janvier 1815." This was the date of the Battle of New Orleans in the War of 1812. Now obviously this wasn't the general's sword but is there any way to tell if it's original to the battle? Inscribed by a soldier proud of his general after the battle? I'm having trouble turning up any research that shows French troops there but french weapons were abundant.
    Thanks! 23339.jpg 23339_3.jpg 23339.jpg 23339_3.jpg 23339_4.jpg

bobsyouruncle and KingofThings like this.
  2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Welcome!
    Hang in there for Springfield and some others.
    It's late but they'll be around soon to help you. :)
    Check back tomorrow.

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Normally I'd be all over this...but.....I'm not an expert....& there seem to be several models....made in different locations....some cavalry , some naval.....and many reproductions...

I'd like to see some markings on the guard....or at the base of the blade.
    I'm not saying it isn't authentic......but there's a way to go before proving that inscription.

That are several good dealers who may want a look at it.....but there seem to be many swords of this ilk on the web .

From Faganarms....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Napoleonic period, model AN IX, adopted in 1812, the year of the unsuccessful invasion of Russia. One piece bronze hilt with ribbed grip. The knuckle bow with ordnance mark and cross guard with issue number. 23 1/2” wedge section blade with remnants of cursive Napoleonic arsenal markings, polished off and surcharged with G M & Cie. The forte marked BERNGASTELL AINE & Cie. Both markings are surcharges by makers or retailers, applied after the sword was refurbished following capture upon Napoleon’s defeat. Many such swords were so captured and refurbished for use throughout Europe and thousands of the same pattern were produced post war making identification of Napoleonic examples difficult or impossible. In this instance, incomplete removal of the arsenal markings makes attribution possible.

.... ......... ............. ........... ........... ............ .... . ............ .. ........

Here's one with so many marks.....my heads spinning.....

[​IMG]

... ....... ................. ................... ............. .............. ........

Here's a comment from one sword forum......

" However, as someone pointed out, this style of sword was worn by men from practically every army in Europe at one time or another, so anything is possible.Are there any marks on either the sword blade& handle or on the scabbard? Most military markings have a lot of stamps, at least by the 19th century, especially on blades: proof marks, acceptance marks and often regimental/company/individual ID markings. Repros., of which there are many and some of quite good quality, tend to lack markings, the manufacturers not being prone to snap inspections by hawk eyed NCOs looking for stolen, lost or 'borrowed' weapons.

4. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

With that inscription I'd send photos to Joel Bohy at Skinners and see what he says, I don't know enough to be of much help on this one,

KingofThings likes this.
  5. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

The photos are kind of small and don't enlarge, but I'm seeing a floral or scrolled engraving on the blade in addition to words. Perhaps this was a presentation piece given to someone after the war was over and not something used in the war. Can you show closeups of the details?

KingofThings likes this.
  6. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

It doesn't look engraved,most likely acid etched.

KingofThings likes this.
  7. KingofThings

Another post and run.
    That was Saturday night.
    :p

8. komokwa

& I'm giving out solid info here.......& seems several of my informative posts just don't get liked or commented on by the OP's............Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr !

9. KingofThings

Indeed. :p

SBSVC and komokwa like this.
  10. KingofThings

Makes me more cuckoo than I already am. ;)

SBSVC likes this.
  11. komokwa

did ya see the Zippo guy posted the same info I found for him.....& saying he's trying to prove to himself that his lighter is legit.........
    Jesus.....what do I get paid here for ??
    Heehehehe!!!!!!

12. KingofThings

Indeed. ;)
    If they know.....then why come here and annoy us?
    I can get this abuse anywhere so why come here? ;)

13. komokwa

I know we do the work so everyone can benefit from it.......but......the ' I only came here for a genuine authentic answer', or those that don't come back...or those that don't bother saying thanks...or anything at all.......
    It can weigh on ya sometimes !!!

14. KingofThings

It does.
    :p

15. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Don't let it get you down.

16. komokwa

Normally it doesn't.....but the sword info took me a while to pull together & make sense of before posting it......& the same care went into researching the Tiffany Zippo.....& even then I wasn't 100% certain that what I found could be the truth, but for the OP to come back with exactly what I found ....posting it as his own research..........well maybe it was, which means the work I did was outright ignored.....or ....worse.

so...ya.....I'm a little bummed out !

Aquitaine, SBSVC and KingofThings like this.
  17. Bev aka thelmasstuff

:(:rage::rage:

SBSVC and KingofThings like this.
  18. kotkinjs1

kotkinjs1 New Member

Hey guys, sorry for not replying earlier....been traveling. Anyway, I actually pick the sword up tomorrow and can take better photos to upload afterwards. Thanks for the replies so far.

Hollyblue, since I'm fairly new to swords, by acid etching do you mean a modern attempt at forgery?

KingofThings likes this.
  19. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Blades have been acid etched with names,slogans and different designs for centuries,it is much easier than trying to engrave a hardened blade.

KingofThings likes this.
  20. kotkinjs1

kotkinjs1 New Member

Hi all,
    The sword finally came in the mail and I've got some better photos. Hollyblue, I think I see what you mean by acid etched now - I can clearly see a difference between what looks engraved into the metal versus wider 'etched' type of surfaces, both in the lettering.
    Its got zero stamps on the handle, hilt, etc but it is maker's marked (?) on the spine - P. <something> Solingen....but this was engraved into the metal as well by hand....not a stamp like I've normally seen. On the reverse side of the blade it's just got some fancy design, by hand, also. Anyway, please let me know if you'd like photos of different areas than the ones I've taken. Thoughts? I might follow up with the recommendation earlier about Skinners (thanks sprinfld.arsenal!) but anyone venture a guess here? 19578324_10154821942936733_871487804_n.jpg 19578330_10154821942326733_1310291381_n.jpg 19621435_10154821943301733_607146679_n.jpg 19621481_10154821942896733_1458746753_n.jpg 19621574_10154821943181733_132124874_n.jpg 19622245_10154821943621733_1521489517_n.jpg 19622327_10154821943346733_26525659_n.jpg 19622419_10154821943336733_1451196330_n.jpg

Attached Files:

KingofThings likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted