Featured Was the travel leather case worth the money

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Chris Mount, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Chris Mount

Chris Mount Getting there

15285110101552.jpg Hi all picked this travel case up today for 50 dollars. I reckon it's pretty cool. Most original I believe and some extras. Ebony marked brush nice straight razor was hoping could explain the plaque. Date engraved is 1905 but the hallmark looks like 1908 seems a little strange to me. Have googled herbert palmer a few come up but might have to do a little more research. Have to try and fix lock and looks like original key. There are a couple of different razors in it if anyone can name them would be great. Any thoughts welcome chris 15285110101321.jpg 15285110099890.jpg 15285110363783.jpg View attachment 127422 View attachment 127422 15285110703637.jpg 15285110703286.jpg 15285110364124.jpg 15285110364355.jpg

2. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

Can’t help you with the details. But I think you did good for $50. I would have bought it too.

judy, kyratango, Any Jewelry and 3 others like this.
  3. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
    Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

I really like it! Think you did good for 50.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  5. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

6. Chris Mount

Christmasjoy and cxgirl like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Very nice, sturdy leather, a quality case. And no guessing about who and when. You did very well for au$50.
    :oops:
    Although Britain has state assay marks, they have kept the old European system of individual date marking for the different assay offices. Other European countries have standardized date marking, or abandoned it altogether. And some just don't give a blank.

8. rhiwfield

rhiwfield Well-Known Member

Having the silver plaque with name and date really elevates this item.

Not sure if there is enough info to identify (maybe passenger manifests?) but have fun looking!

Christmasjoy, pearlsnblume and cxgirl like this.
  9. AuDragon

AuDragon Well-Known Member

Hey Chris, Great case and contents. I really like it. In your profile, I can't find where you live, but if its America (US$50 or is the NZ$) it means the case has gone from England to NZ to USA. Nice world trip and its still in great condition.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  10. Chris Mount

England to new zealand to bentleigh australia
    No luck with name aw well

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  11. AuDragon

AuDragon Well-Known Member

Australia also makes it a great trip as well. :)

Christmasjoy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted