Featured Watching Andy's Train film reminds me of time long ago.

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by gregsglass, Aug 16, 2015.

1. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Andy's film on trains reminded me that when I was a kid 6 or 7. We went to my Aunt's house in a small town of West Virginia. I ended up in the attic on a small cot. My Aunt's house was across a creek from the railroad. During the night I would hear a train coming. I would jump out of bed and went to the tiny window to watch the old steam engine train go by. It was in the dark but I huddled by the window bundled up in blankets and wished that I could jump on the train. The sound of the wheels and the blast on the engine ended after a while and I would crawl back in to bed. Such a longing I can feel and hear the sounds exactly today as I did back then.
    greg

all_fakes, KingofThings and jackolin like this.
  2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I grew up about a block from a railroad yard,the sounds of trains never fail to make me nostalgic. :)

KingofThings likes this.
  3. kristiaan

kristiaan Well-Known Member

Got the same virus!
    Everything related to traveling, exploring, catches my attention,especialy when it is old.

KingofThings likes this.
  4. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

My bedroom with its big four-poster at my grandmother's house was a block away from a local trolley line. While we almost never heard it during the day, when I went to bed at night, I listened for one passage of rackety-rack, rackety-rack, down the rails...then I went to sleep.

KingofThings likes this.
  5. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Greg, you should write a book about all your adventures. You have a very special way of relating stories.

I used to live right across from one of Long Island Railroad stations and it was the biggest mistake of my life. It was one of my first places to live and I never realized how loud the train could be till I moved in. My bedroom faced the tracks. This was not an elevated train station so every train that went by, shook my apt and the loud train honks were too much to contend with.
    Had to move out within a year so I could sleep at night.

KingofThings likes this.
  6. kristiaan

kristiaan Well-Known Member

We travelled a lot when I was a child, and lived just for a short periode in a house near Kinshasa, having a airfield and a main street in front. A other buissy street at the back, next to a railroad track and the Congo river a few yards further away.

KingofThings likes this.
  7. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Pearl,
    Thanks for the compliment. My nephews love for me to sit down and tell stories of my misspent youth.:eek:
    greg

KingofThings likes this.
  8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I grew up in a house a block away from a large rail yard.
    Every night I'd fall asleep to the banging of rail cars being attached together and the locomotives straining to pull them along.

KingofThings likes this.
  9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

When I started going out to Vancouver on business I pick hotels next to the loading docks .....so I could fall asleep to the same noises I'd heard as a child...:)

KingofThings likes this.
  10. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

I LOVE TRAINS!
    I still have both of my Lionel sets from the 50s! Including what I'm pretty sure is the first of the HO sets!
    A friend just gave me a bunch with buildings, etc. to to go with my old Plasticville stuff and all. :)
    I was lucky enough to have my Grandma take me to the Lionel store in NYC often. :)
    I have ridden the Chattanooga Choo-Choo with my son and grandson and accidentally found that exact ring sound on my phone while on the train!
    I think of them always anyway but still...nice to hear that :)
    I used to sit on the Palisades in Jersey City, NJ and watch all the trains below and to the North of the Turnpike and Hwy 1-9. The same exact place the Perils of Pauline were shot! I didn't know that then. :)
    This yard is all gone now and empty of anything, except my memories.
    I was watching one here just yesterday! :)

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
    komokwa likes this.
  11. pearlsnblume

My brother had (probably still has) some of the old 1950's Lionel trains. I used to love the cars where the plastic cows or horses or metal milk cans went in and out of open doors. I remember a small bottle that contained pills that you could put into the engine so that it would blow out white smoke as it rode the tracks.
    Usually the trains were set up during holiday time in my family.

Suffice to say, if I even tried to touch the trains or the gizmo that set the trains in motion, my brother saw to it that it was HIS toy only and he was not about to share with his sister. I could only view and not touch.
    LOL

KingofThings likes this.
  12. KingofThings

I didn't have many 'operating' cars if any but I know of what you speak. :)
    My 027 engine smokes but I think it had drops for it.
    You should've gotten the girls set. LHe wouldn't play with it. It is PINK!
    And worth all the $ too. :)
    p.s. Some of the stuff I was given recently does function. :)

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
  13. pearlsnblume

The reason I remember them being white pills was because my younger brother almost got the bottle opened in an attempt to eat them. He was just learning to walk and was into everything.
    It was a close call though.

I never knew that there were pink trains for girls till many years later.
    I don't think I would have wanted that set for girls and I doubt my parents would have bought it as we were a family of modest means.
    I can still plainly see the expression on my older brothers face when I got too close to HIS Lionel trains. If looks could kill. :)

komokwa and KingofThings like this.
  14. KingofThings

It is possible the liquid was after the pills as it was just mineral oil I think.
    The pink sets didn't sell well so if caught on sale... Ah well... :(
    It's why they have that value.

pearlsnblume likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted