Featured Watercolor Building

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by kardinalisimo, May 23, 2019.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

EBAE9443-3692-457D-AFF2-35C3CF2AAC6D.jpeg 18ABDAC9-3388-4695-B686-C41903EC8767.jpeg C93B919E-43BF-477E-AE6F-0E30BCB45321.jpeg Anybody recognizes the architecture?

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Photograph of full work? Photograph of back? Photograph of signature?

Debora

Christmasjoy and scoutshouse like this.
  3. kardinalisimo

First picture is the whole work in aluminum frame. No visible signature. Will take it out of the frame tomorrow.

4. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Corinthian columns...

It looks like the back wall of an enclosure/building, not an entrance.

Neat!

Christmasjoy likes this.
  5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Roman by the look of it. A building that has been constructed later - mediaevel perhaps - within an older Roman structure. Mind you,that could be several countries in Europe.

scoutshouse likes this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I like it.
    No siggy or illegible scribbles anywhere?
    It is somewhere in the northern Mediterranean. House number 12, shouldn't be hard to find.;)

7. Ownedbybear

When you say Northern, I'm presuming you include Italy and Spain in that. ;)

Oh, belay that, I think I know where it is. Split.

8. Any Jewelry

Yes, the countries along the northern coast, the European part. So not North Africa or the Middle East.
    So house number 12 in Split.:D

9. Ownedbybear

It looks very like some of the houses built into Diocletian's Palace. I love the fact that the market is in amongst, too.

10. Any Jewelry

It has that red colour too, and the colomns of course. So we are looking for number 12 in the complex.

11. Any Jewelry

12. Ownedbybear

I like Split so much better than Dubrovnik. The latter is mostly an absolute zoo, determined on extracting as much money as possible. Especially on the back of Game of Thrones. Split is a real living city and a delight.

scoutshouse, KikoBlueEyes and judy like this.
  13. Any Jewelry

The last time I was in Dubrovnik was in the early 80s, not long after Tito died. It wasn't too bad then, and a beautiful town. So is Budva, nearby in Montenegro. Even though it is much smaller it has the same old Venetian feel.

scoutshouse, KikoBlueEyes and judy like this.
  14. Ownedbybear

Have you been to Kotor? That's lovely, same feel.

scoutshouse and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  15. Any Jewelry

I love Kotor. It is nicely sheltered by the bay, stunning landscape too.
    When we were there a charming elderly gentleman showed us around the cathedral. After every beautiful building detail and object he pointed out to us he said "but the most beautiful is the baldachino". He meant the transitional Romanesque/Gothic canopy with the stunning silver and gold altarpiece.
    He was right of course, but it has become one of those coined phrases in our family, to be said with a Montenegran accent with Italian flourish.
    I loved Montenegro and the Montenegrans, they have more of a Latin influence than the other Slavic peoples on the Adriatic.:)

But the most beautiful is the baldachino;):

[​IMG]

Jeff Drum and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  16. Ownedbybear

Every time I've been there, it's been sauna hot, that fjord does it! But it's lovely.

scoutshouse and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  17. Any Jewelry

Try early springtime. And go up into the mountains for a cool breeze. Or a freezing cold wind.:facepalm:

18. kardinalisimo

4AEFC001-1BCE-40CD-8FCC-E6E775BE3A2B.jpeg E3F21B64-84EB-401D-A585-979774A028D4.jpeg C2571406-A6E6-497C-88DA-27936033DC50.jpeg 24EC48DE-F749-4BC3-8F7F-FFFDB3032AD0.jpeg 958BF00B-0153-42F9-8314-B73BE70195A5.jpeg 4F3A2100-1713-468A-B216-20DA89C95E12.jpeg Paper laid over cardboard that seems to be missing the lower parts but I think the paper size is intact. Titled in graphite but no signature. Obviously someone decided to get rid of the acid mats and they choose smaller mats to hide the burn marks.

19. Ownedbybear

Hm. Not Split then, but it is at least Roman: The Temple of Pallas in Rome.

[​IMG]

20. kardinalisimo

Did not Romans use Roman numerals?

Draft saved Draft deleted