Watercolor, Newly Framed

Discussion in 'Art' started by Figtree3, Jun 21, 2014.

1. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

All,

I purchased this watercolor from verybrad some while ago. It needed a new mat and frame. The shop took a long time (7 months!) due to various factors... but I picked it up today and like the way it turned out. So, thought I'd show it here!

The first photo is close to the true color, but there is a flash reflection in the middle that almost looks like the sun -- it is not!

001 (1280x907).jpg

Here is a cropped version just showing the painting...

001.JPG

Here is another photo with the flash turned off. The colors are not correct this way.

002 (1280x945).jpg

Thanks to Brad for this -- yes, I paid for it (and paid even more for the framing). But still, thanks!

2. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

It's a lovely watercolor and you did well with your choice of mat board and frame.
    Very pretty.:happy:

3. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Oooh, that framed up really nicely!

4. Figtree3

Thanks to both of you!

5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I remember that! It turned out very well. :happy:

6. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I love silver on frames. Much classier than gold - everyone uses gold around here. I love it!

7. Figtree3

I like the silver, too -- thanks. I spent a lot of time selecting the frame and mat. The framer's husband consulted with me during selection. It went well.

8. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

Gorgeous.
    The mat color plays well with the ethereal quality of the image.

antidiem likes this.
  9. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Wow .... this came out great. Good choice for the mat and frame. It took so long that I forgot about it. :shame: Doesn't it just kill you that the framing is more expensive than the art?

I don't know if you have a Hobby Lobby where you are but I use them quite a bit. They are very reasonable (particularly during their often sales) and have always worked pretty fast They are usually 2 weeks or less for custom frames. Stock frames can often be done in a day or two.

10. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

It really looks nice! Do you have a before, I guess I missed it.

11. Figtree3

Yes, there is a Hobby Lobby in this area and others have told me they are good. I'll try them next time for sure! I'm guessing they are less expensive, too. The framing on this cost quite a bit more than the painting itself did... although I know that framing is pretty pricey, especially when a mat is involved.

The shop still has two other items that I was very concerned about... two Audubon prints that I purchased at two different times but wanted to hang together. I purchased them at the Joel Oppenheimer Gallery in Chicago -- they were not cheap, but were some of the lower-priced things they sell there! I love looking at their offerings. They have a good website, too: http://www.audubonart.com/

Anyway, the prints were already matted by the gallery, so I just wanted frames. When I went to pick up the painting I was told that the frame I wanted for those two are out of stock and they are trying to get their supplier to answer their question as to when they will be available. I told him to just ask the framer to select a frame that looks good and is somewhat similar to what I requested. She does have good taste and I trust her. At this rate it may be another month before I get the prints!

12. Figtree3

Well, I did not take a photo before. It was in an acidic mat of a somewhat similar color, but more blue in tone as I recall. It also had old tape that had yellowed.

I remembered that Brad had showed the painting in a Finds thread last year. Guess what -- I found it! However, his picture just shows the painting itself, not the mat nor the tape. If you go to Message 76 in this thread you will see it. Brad didn't have it for sale at the time, but I contacted him separately and asked if I could buy it.

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Archiv...7-2013-OT/td-p/17309315/highlight/true/page/8

If this link doesn't work, let me know. I found it in the "Archive Antiques" space that Lithium created on the boards.

Fig

13. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Found it! You did a great job framing it to show it off really well. My it was fun looking at all the other finds while I was at it!

Draft saved Draft deleted