Waterford Crystal Artist Signed Bowl?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by KevinM, Feb 27, 2017.

1. KevinM

KevinM Active Member

I purchased this Crystal Bowl today and I'm having difficulty making out the signature on it. The bowl measures about 5" in diameter and about 2 1/2" in height and is signed Waterford and has another signature on it and the date.

I've tried a lot of variations of what I thought the first and last name might be on searches and can't find anything. I've also checked searches with Waterford artist signed crystal and still no matches.

Can anyone identify the signature above the date on this crystal bowl or know anything else about the bowl?

Thanks!
    Kevin
    HPIM6917.JPG HPIM6918.JPG HPIM6908.JPG HPIM6911.JPG HPIM6910.JPG HPIM6906.JPG

2. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

This bowl isn't saying Waterford to me. I have never seen one with the Waterford signature done that way, but I'm not saying that it isn't genuine. Is there possibly another acid etched Waterford mark on the bowl? I know Home Shopping Network used to do Waterford sales events where they would sell signed pieces, and have the artists there on the show with them showing how they signed pieces. This could be one of those.
    I did look at the Waterford signing events for 2016, but did not find an artist that matched the siggy on your piece, but yours was 2006, and I couldn't find any history for Waterford artists from that time.

Ladybranch and clutteredcloset49 like this.
  3. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I see Miriam Kleinozki but I have been unable to find anything even remotely close on any Waterford sites.

I worked in a China Dept back in the 1990s. Jim O'Leary came on 2 or 3 occasions to sign customer's Waterford purchases.

It also might be a special commission piece.

judy and Bdigger like this.
  5. KevinM

KevinM Active Member

Bdigger and clutteredcloset49, thanks for the reply and info. I looked real close at the bowl and didn't see a acid etched waterford mark. I did find some signing events earlier like both of you mention, 1 at replacements.com but they were not who signed this bowl. I also looked for Miriam Kleinozki, and other variations of that earlier with no luck. I'm still looking... Thanks again

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
    clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  6. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Is it possible that the bowl was engraved FOR someone - i.e. that Miriam was not the artisan, but rather the recipient?

komokwa likes this.
  7. KevinM

KevinM Active Member

SBSVC, yes, that is possible. I did see on a Waterford site where you can have items engraved. I would have expected a acid etched Waterford though. Would like to find another example of a Waterford etched this way if I can find one.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  8. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Well, it was made in Waterford but not by Waterford. There is a company called Dingle Crystal that is located in Waterford, Ireland and signs it's work the way your piece is signed. They produce some beautiful glass but the way they sign their work is quite misleading.
    Don

9. KevinM

KevinM Active Member

Thanks dgbjwc for that information! Now, that makes more sense to me. I was thinking it might be Waterford somewhere but not the Waterford I was thinking at first.

10. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

This is my Dingle Crystal bowl. In my case it was easier to ID as it was signed by the founder, Sean Daly. I'm also including a picture of the signature so you can compare. It's signed in an awkward spot so the photo isn't the best. You might want to contact the shop to see if they can identify the artist on yours. It's also possible there are other small shops operating in Waterford so I shouldn't have said it was Dingle without qualifying that statement. I bought this in a catalogued auction and the auctioneer was very clear in saying it was "signed Waterford". I suspect they knew it was Dingle but didn't want to hurt the bidding. I haven't figured out what to do with mine yet. It's very heavy so we've taking to calling it the murder weapon as in "Colonel Mustard in the dining room with the Dingle". I'm scared to ship it and have no idea how to price it as there doesn't appear to be much of a secondary market at this point. I suspect it has found a home here and that is just peachy with me!
    Don

IMG_20170228_112444273.jpg IMG_20170228_112547463.jpg

11. KevinM

KevinM Active Member

Don, thank you so much for the additional information and photo images to compare with. The small bowl I have is very heavy too for it's size. There does seem a resemblance that mine also has a name, dated and says Waterford. I looked for other Dingle Crystal items on the internet to compare with but only saw one other with Waterford etched on it but it was not clear enough to make out to compare.
    Kevin

12. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Well, it was made in Waterford but not by Waterford.

Don, thanks for that info! (Rather duplicitous, aren't they?)

judy and komokwa like this.
  13. Erin J

Erin J New Member

When I worked at Busch Gardens in Williamsburg, VA, I supervised a retail store that sold Waterford. Several Waterford artists would visit each year and Waterford would ship "incomplete" pieces the artists could actively work on in the store to demonstrate their processes. At their end of their visit, they would often give the unfinished pieces to employees! I think that might be what you have! Also, when Jim O'Leary visited, he would write out Waterford on the bottom. If you google Jim O'Leary pieces you can see images. Also, you can google the cutting process to see what the unfinished pieces looked like for comparison!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    clutteredcloset49 and dgbjwc like this.
  14. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

No Irish or European artist would sign a date that way. It's in American format.

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted