Featured Wax male doll - help dating it

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Fiotomas, Apr 14, 2021.

1. Fiotomas

Fiotomas Member

Hello,
    I purchased this male wax doll 30 years ago more or less in the London. I have no information on provenance nor age.
    The hair on the head feels real at the touch.
    Has anybody seen something similar or would know how old it is?
    I have never come across anything like it
    since I bought it.
    I attach some pictures.
    Many Thanks,
    Fiotomas
    d1.jpg d5.jpg d7.jpg d3.jpg d4.jpg

KSW, elarnia, ulilwitch and 3 others like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

looks like the Earl of Pompadour !!! :hilarious::hilarious:

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
    KSW, ulilwitch, judy and 3 others like this.
  4. judy

judy Well-Known Member

@Any Jewelry.............yes you remembered!

I often forget the names in other categories, but unlike you, so far I haven't written them down............:(

I could never be a bright as you anyway!!:cat:

KSW, komokwa, ulilwitch and 1 other person like this.
  5. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Hi Fiotomas!

Welcome to Antiquers...........:cat:

KSW likes this.
  6. Fiotomas

Fiotomas Member

Thanks!

KSW likes this.
  7. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Hi @Fiotomas.....you're welcome.

Unfortunately I cannot help with your doll. It doesn't appear to be antique from the photos, but it could just be the photo. Your probably correct in the hair being human.....it looks it from your pics.

I don't know of any company or individual that has been making wax faced dolls in later years. As far as I know, the antique ones weren't common. I've only owned one in my many previous years of collecting. I think mine was wax over composition. Some of the hair was imbedded individually into the front head, and the facial details were a bit more professional than the one you have, but wax is wax and can't be compared to any other medium.....and finess differs. I'm sure wax is more difficult.

Upon re- looking at the face, maybe it is older than I imagine.

Have the hairs of the eyebrows been imbedded?

Have teeth been formed and inserted?

If you hadn't said that it was a wax face, I'd think it was made of felt by the photos.

I can't tell what the clothes are made of. Yarn that has started to deteriorate?

8. Fiotomas

Fiotomas Member

Hi, Thank you for your reply. The eyebrows are gone though if I pass my finger over them I can feel it a bit rough so probably they were embedded. The mouth appears like a line (not open), it feels like a metal strip to the touch. The clothes are silk I think. It is old, that I know but I was hoping more 1700s rather than 1900s.
    I have not seen any of these around. As you say, male dolls are much rarer. The detail on the clothes also is fine.

Attached Files:

• d11.jpg
      d11.jpg
      File size:
      549.1 KB
      Views:
    • d9.jpg
      d9.jpg
      File size:
      357.5 KB
      Views:
    • d8.jpg
      d8.jpg
      File size:
      284 KB
      Views:
    KSW and Any Jewelry like this.
  9. judy

judy Well-Known Member

What is the body made of? The hands look like wooden spoon hands?

KSW likes this.
  10. Fiotomas

Fiotomas Member

Body is soft so material, the hands and feet are wax

KSW likes this.
  11. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

The wax dolls Ive seen had much more refined features ,so unless he melted a little Id guess a home made one,albeit lovingly . I just watched a British Roadshow that showed 18th century dolls in pretty much mint condition and he does rather look very much like they did. The whiteness of the lace is throwing me,even tucked away for 200 years you'd think it'd have yellowed at the least. Hes really very charming.Maybe the buttons can help date?

KSW, komokwa, antidiem and 3 others like this.
  12. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Are the eyes a ball of wax?

KSW and komokwa like this.
  13. Fiotomas

Fiotomas Member

I think he must have melted a little too. Buttons feel like metal to the touch. The clothes details are very fine.

KSW likes this.
  14. Fiotomas

Fiotomas Member

Eyes feel like little pieces of dark glass

KSW and Aquitaine like this.
  15. Fiotomas

Fiotomas Member

I have serached online for 18Th century dolls but cannot find much if anything. If you know of any site I can check, I will be grateful

KSW likes this.
  16. judy

judy Well-Known Member

In my encyclopedia of dolls, althought not a large chapter, the wax dolls pictured are in wonderful condition, with wonderful detail to face and body.

As Johnny said, wax is affected by temperature, and yours could have suffered too much heat which could alter features.

I would not think the clothing on your doll to be in fine condition. While the back looks to be in better condition, issues of deterioration show at the shoulder. In the doll world, clothes made of antique silk showing wear/tears was referred to as "melting".

KSW, komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  17. Fiotomas

Fiotomas Member

Yes, sorry, I didn't express myself well, when I said fine, I meant that there is attention to detail in the clothes, not that the condition was fine. There is deterioration. He has suffered some heat for sure! I am not that interested in the value, more the period.

KSW and Any Jewelry like this.
  18. judy

judy Well-Known Member

The fact the eyes are pieces of glass is unusual. Wax, glass and or painted eyes were used.

I really can't offer any options for researching this doll. I think hands on is going to be your only resource.

A doll museum could be helpful if you have one near you.

Also, try your local library for books specifically on wax dolls.

KSW, komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  19. Fiotomas

Fiotomas Member

Thank you again for your help. I might contact the toy museum in London. I just noticed he has a beauty spot!!!

20. judy

judy Well-Known Member

The best of luck and please, please please, let us know if you find out more. It would be appreciated...........:cat:

KSW, johnnycb09, komokwa and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted