Featured Wax Statues Guys...

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Silver Wolf, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Silver Wolf

Silver Wolf Well-Known Member

hello guys,these are another items that offered to me,i knew nothing about wax statue.what do you think?any information will be appreciated,thank you

IMG-20190910-WA0044.jpg IMG-20190910-WA0043.jpg IMG-20190910-WA0047.jpg IMG-20190910-WA0037.jpg IMG-20190910-WA0039.jpg IMG-20190910-WA0020.jpg IMG-20190910-WA0019.jpg IMG-20190910-WA0017.jpg IMG-20190910-WA0028.jpg IMG-20190910-WA0029.jpg

AJefferson, Any Jewelry, BMRT and 3 others like this.
  2. CheersDears

CheersDears Well-Known Member

I know nothing at all about these but think they are rather wonderful. Are they made of wax? Where do they come from? Any idea how old? More information would be appreciated. I like them but would love to know more.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I LOVE the children/cherubs and think they are wonderful!!! But cannot help you!! So I too am waiting to hear more!!:):):)

4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I don't understand why these are being referred to as "wax." Have you seen them in person?

5. Silver Wolf

not yet,but the seller said it feels soft when touch them,and do you notice in the last bust statue there's wax that melting.and if this isn't wax what do you think it is then?

6. Silver Wolf

yes,it was said they are wax.i don't know how old it is,but i do believe it could be possibly 19th century or older i think

7. Silver Wolf

yes they are beautiful,but it's pity the past owner looks like painted them with green,if in its original colour i think it will be more beautiful!

8. Bakersgma

I don't see anything that looks definitively like wax, melting or not. "Feels soft" does not make sense for things like these. Has the seller mentioned how much they weigh?

9. CheersDears

CheersDears Well-Known Member

They look like big pieces, the first one particularly, and it is hard to think that wax models of this size could survive for 100 or more years. But we are all very eager to hear all about them :)

10. Silver Wolf

i'm not yet asked about the weight.could it possibly resin?

11. Bakersgma

12. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Why couldn't they be wax???
    Wax bust:
    [​IMG]

For the color, these busts could have been originally patinated to look like marble or stone?

13. Silver Wolf

yeah i think some poor wax statue maybe they used to be placed in harsh condition,bad weather or shiny sunshine and really damaged how it looks in long time,that what just i think:shifty::shifty:

14. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

perhaps these are the wax busts that bronze statues are cast from?

15. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

I haven't found any very good articles; but it seems that this is a much harder wax than modern candle-wax; in the days before resin-casting and plastic-casting, it was used as a casting medium for store displays, such as mannequins, and also for works of art that could be cast more cheaply than casting in metal.
    Still you'd think they'd be somewhat fragile, less likely to survive intact than stone or metal.

16. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

The last one looks like the head of the Diana of Versailles with a great blob of melted wax on it. Suspect they were once painted to look like aged bronze.

Diane_de_Versailles_Leochares_2.jpg

17. Slykitty65

Slykitty65 Active Member

A Lovely statue, I tend to agree with antidiem that it may be a Hard Modern Wax used for making the casting of the bronze. Most of the wax casts are cut up during the process of making the bronze casting and there is some kind of wire or wood armature underneath for support and guideline. You can read about the process at this website, scroll lower for better photos of the wax casting.
    http://statuemadebronze.com/tag/putti/

I collect and have made porcelain dolls. I have one antique wax doll and the wax used during that period was a mix of beeswax over a wire armature, is very delicate and soft to touch and extra care used to keep it away from heat/cold and other damaging elements. I'll post a photo so you can see. I do know that wax was used to make larger dolls such as Baby Jesus for the Nativity sets as far back as the 1600s or so. The look of those antique wax dolls and statutes are similar to my German doll from the 1880s or the smooth texture of the photo posted of the antique statue. Wax is easily painted on but care is needed when cleaning so the features are not lost, as may be the case in the greenish tinting to make it look like bronze patina.
    IMG-6604-A.jpg

18. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Waxes for casting are usually hollow.

Christmasjoy, Silver Wolf and Bronwen like this.
  19. Silver Wolf

since it's online,i can't touch and feel them,so i think i'll skip these items guys,well thanks anyone for the help!

20. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Agreed, but they are rather thick walled nonetheless. @Houseful , Can you tell from this thread if these are complete bases on the bottoms or if they may be hollowed out some?

Christmasjoy and Silver Wolf like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted