Featured Wedgwood Basalt piece

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by kellaurm, Jan 16, 2019.

1. kellaurm

kellaurm Well-Known Member

Can anyone tell me more about this black basalt Wedgwood piece, possible shape, names, age, and rarity. If you know ballpark value, please through it out. Thanks.

Black basalt urn/covered vase

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Does the lid come off?
    That screw on the bottom is unusual.

scoutshouse and i need help like this.
  3. kellaurm

Yes lid comes off. I've seen the screw on many older urn pieces

4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Can you get me a better shot of the marks please. Looks 19th C.

kyratango and scoutshouse like this.
  5. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

How big is it?

scoutshouse likes this.
  6. Lecollectionneur

Lecollectionneur Well-Known Member

Nice piece after 1891, normally a pair, you can find a lot more on this website with illustrations of good quality.

kyratango and scoutshouse like this.
  7. kellaurm

Yes I figured it was a late 19th century piece, but why do you say normally a pair? I haven't been able to find a piece like it anywhere online. Most are basalt with some sort of relief. Not plain like this.

scoutshouse likes this.
  8. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Most I see are more elaborate, but yours is beautiful!

kyratango likes this.
  9. Lecollectionneur

Lecollectionneur Well-Known Member

Those pieces are presented most often on chimney plates(not sure of my translation) and as most english deco items they were by pairs, when used on a table for example, you don't put just a small piece in the center but two at each third, they are just rules used in the "Arts de la table" books.
    If you look the very good Flog it TV program, you see a lot of such items presented and they insist always that's better when you have the pair for sale.
    But now, considering our way of life most people buy only one item, they are just different customers than collectors(it's more my opinion as seller than collector).
    The rarity and the most valuable interest on pairs comes from that there is often one broken ore dispatched through heritages.

dgbjwc, cxgirl and kyratango like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted