Wedgwood blue Jasperware sugar and pitcher questions

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Lucille.b, May 12, 2017.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

These two pieces were in a box of other items I purchased. I find this Jasperware somewhat hard to research, was just going to bring to my consignment store for resale, where I would probably realize around $25 for the set.

I noticed that some of the white overlay on one of the pieces is a bit separated by the handle, see last photo. (Handle is not broken.) Is this considered damage or something that just happens with Japerware?

Also, if anyone knows this ware and thinks that Ebay would be a better place for these particular pieces, let me know! Thanks so much.

wed2.jpg View attachment 73060 wed5.jpg wed6.jpg wed7.jpg

2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Looks like the creamer is from 1948, the sugar from probably the same. Nice set. Not considered damage but a nice older set.
    greg

Lucille.b likes this.
  3. Lucille.b

Thanks, Greg.

Maybe worth putting up on Ebay? How to describe that part on the handle where the white is sort of separated?

Also the back of the creamer has a little spot that is a bit of a flaw where the blue color missed.

Any keywords to describe either flaw if I do list?

wed8.jpg

4. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I can usually sell Wedgwood jasperware on eBay unless it's trinket trays. I can't give those away! Personally, I would probably put these in the consignment shop. Creamers and sugars are probably some of the more common pieces on eBay. There's a flat creamer and a covered sugar like yours on eBay for $22.50 on a BIN. It also saves you the trouble of trying to explain the minor issues in an eBay description. Not to mention the fees. You can always put them on eBay later if they don't sell in the booth. JMHO.
    Don

5. Lucille.b

It also saves you the trouble of trying to explain the minor issues in an eBay description.

Good advice. Once you start describing this and that for a line that isn't selling that well anyway... well enough said. Off to the consignment store or maybe my local "Nextdoor" online classified --honestly had a few good sales w/that.

gregsglass and dgbjwc like this.
  6. gregsglass

Hi,
    I call it a glaze skip. They were common from 1938 to 1950. The war you know.
    greg

7. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I would have thought that the 48 would be the year, but I also just found this statement on an identification site, thepotteries.org:

"After 1891 the word ENGLAND is added to the WEDGWOOD mark continuing until 1908 when the words MADE IN ENGLAND replace it in all cases. MADE IN ENGLAND commenced appearing on some wares as early as 1898 but is not in general use until 1908"

"[It has been pointed out the this does not apply in all instances - as small items such as thimbles do not have the words MADE IN ENGLAND on them. In fact Christmas thimbles dated 1990 still use WEDGWOOD ENGLAND] "

http://www.thepotteries.org/mark/w/wedgwood-date.html

I have used this site before and it seems very good. So if what they say is true, wouldn't this date from between 1891-1908?

Greg, what do you think of the above quote?

Also, the word "WEDGWOOD" is in a serif font, which they say was used until 1929 when the sans serif font was adopted.
    http://www.thepotteries.org/mark/w/wedgwoodj.html

8. gregsglass

Hi Figtree,
    I think you are right. Most of my Wedgwood is newer (1930s and on) My older pieces are 1860 to 1870s.
    greg

Figtree3 likes this.
  9. gregsglass

Hi,
    I am sorry but I have to apologize. I am "stuffed" up with the "green snow" and I am not thinking clearly. I think it is time I crawled back into my cave until the the pollen is waning.
    greg

10. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Cobalt jasper is earlier and commands higher prices than the light blue.
    I think fig is correct on the dating. Don't have time to double check.

As noted sugars and creamers are more easily found.

11. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Wishing you a quick recovery, and maybe some rain to get rid of the extra pollen?

Draft saved Draft deleted