Featured Wedgwood Blue & White meat plate ?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by daveydempsey, Mar 4, 2019.

1. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

I found this in the trash at the hoarders house clearance today.
    Its a very large plate 15 inches long with indented channels that lead to a reservoir within the plate.

Never seen this type before.

I believe the channels are to drain the juices and fat into the deeper reservoir.
    I took about 4 pics of the mark and non showed on my phone whilst uploading, so I enlarged the mark from the picture of the reverse instead.

I can't read the two central words.

Its heavily crazed but not chipped and probably needs some denture solution to clean the grime out of it.

Can anyone read the centre words, looks like Aquatic Sherwood to me ?

Date ?

20190304_160215.jpg
    20190304_160238.jpg

20190304_160238-1.jpg

20190304_160337.jpg

20190304_160343.jpg

2. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

Asiatic Pheasant(s)?

komokwa, patd8643, Figtree3 and 5 others like this.
  3. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

daveydempsey and i need help like this.
  4. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Good one Janetpjohn!

i need help likes this.
  5. daveydempsey

Ghopper1924 and i need help like this.
  6. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Just as an aside, this isn't the famous Josiah Wedgwood factory but a different Wedgwood factory. Godden's has a mark like yours with ESTAB 1835 on the top and date it c. 1925+. It's an older pattern though, back at least when the company was Podmore Walker I believe.

Anyway, a very long soak in hair bleach/peroxide (not chlorine bleach) followed by a long soak in clean water would work wonders on it.

7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Yes they are, for a big chunk of meat.

8. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Meat platter with tree well:
    5A3162EF-06C9-40D2-A703-D3DCE03C6553.jpeg

9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Yep - for the Sunday roast. They're still made, at least in metal, the last I looked. Not that anyone does a Sunday roast any more in these parts.

Bakersgma likes this.
  10. daveydempsey

Using those words "Meat platter with tree well" "Wedgwood" brought up quite a few similar , thanks.

Any Jewelry, komokwa and kyratango like this.
  11. Phaik Hooi

Phaik Hooi Well-Known Member

how long would a long soak be? i have tried it with a piece of cottonwool soaked in peroxide overnight but it doesn't work :( do i need to dip the whole plate in a "bucket" of peroxide?? :wideyed::hungover::hilarious:

Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
  12. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

Yes, you'll need a container (plastic bin with a vented cover works well) that will hold the entire platter. Completely submerge the platter in 30% or 40% peroxide. Put it somewhere where it's not in direct sunlight. You may need to soak for a week or more. Warnings: wear rubber gloves and be careful pouring the peroxide into the container so it doesn't splash onto your skin or anything else. Don't breathe the fumes. I keep the container in my utility room where no one will disturb it. The peroxide will turn color as it removes the grime but you can save it and use it again.

13. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

how long would a long soak be? i have tried it with a piece of cottonwool soaked in peroxide overnight but it doesn't work :( do i need to dip the whole plate in a "bucket" of peroxide?? :wideyed::hungover::hilarious:

Well that would be the most productive:). I have wrapped pieces in paper towels and poured several cups of peroxide of 30% or 40% strength in doubled heavy plastic bags or covered containers and left for days or a week or more. It's strong stuff and will hurt if you get it on your skin and will bleach spots on clothing etc.

Heat will accelerate the process but as it could be dangerous and can develop an odor so I'll let that be. But yes, it takes a long time and quite a lot of peroxide. It also takes a long soak in water that probably will require changing in order to get it all out.

Any Jewelry, kyratango and Phaik Hooi like this.
  14. Phaik Hooi

so, an overnight would not be long enough :hilarious::hilarious:
    tq @ascot @say_it_slowly i will try again when i get more peroxide :happy::happy:

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
  15. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Do not try this on anything that has not got a clear finish and be very careful because any red or pink under the glaze may lighten or disappear. I now only use it on white ironstone or something with only one or two colors. I lost several really nice pieces with the red and pink design. Several times I have gotten away soaking red and pink but after the horrible loss, I no longer do any colored pieces.
    greg

Any Jewelry, ALittleBit and kyratango like this.
  16. daveydempsey

I've used a few tablets of Steradent in the past and that worked quite well.
    (Denture cleaning tablets) they might have a different trade name elsewhere.

And no , I've not got false gnashers, I find the tablets when clearing houses.:hilarious::hilarious:

17. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I've bought a few here and there to clean gunk out of glassware.

18. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I buy them fresh from the store to clean glassware and china. My teeth don't come out since that eBay SOB is out of my life.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    greg

19. Phaik Hooi

oo definitely easier than using peroxide. tq!
    i will go nick some from my old auntie :D:D

Draft saved Draft deleted