Wedgwood Dating

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by TheVeryThoughtOfYou, Jun 17, 2017.

1. TheVeryThoughtOfYou

TheVeryThoughtOfYou New Member

Hiya! I inherited my grandmother's Wedgwood collection, which mostly consists of pieces from the 50s-70s, but I'm attempting to "age" the collection by getting some older pieces. I recently acquired these through EBTH.com (which is GREAT!) and I think they're 1800s, but I wondered if anyone could narrow them down further for me. I've become pretty good at deciphering Wedgwood marks, but these just don't have enough information. I'd appreciate any help you can give!

The first piece (and my favorite!) is a small mortar and pestle. It has a Wedgwood slug with serifs, plus a 2, X, and what I *think* is a moustache mark, which would put it 1795-1850 (though I wonder if it could be narrowed down). The next two pieces are small ironstone jelly molds with a serif Wedgwood. The "fig" mold has a 3 and what looks to be a heart, but I can't decipher anything besides the Wedgwood slug on the tiered mold.

20170617_093302_small.jpg

20170617_093329_small.jpg

20170617_093339_small.jpg

20170617_093404_small.jpg

20170617_093407_small.jpg

KEM_3018.jpg

KEM_3017.jpg

Joshua Brown likes this.
  2. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Welcome!

There are some Wedgwood collectors, as well as some people who are general pottery collectors, on this forum, and I am sure that someone will be along soon to help you out!

And I am glad to hear the you have had success with EBTH - there is a thread on this forum that is full of issues people have had with them! My experience with them was when they were very "young" so it was a positive one. - others? not so much.................

3. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Very interesting. I like Wedgwood pieces but don't have a wide experience on the marks. And have never seen anything like this! I'm partly replying so that I'll be "following" the thread and get notifications about replies.

And Welcome to Antiquers!

Joshua Brown likes this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Love the jelly molds!

Joshua Brown likes this.
  5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi and WELCOME to the site!!!! Sounds like you were one of the lucky ones to have success with EBTH!!! I can't help with your Wedgewood, but may I suggest that when posting images in the future, it helps ALL viewing them to post FULL SIZE IMAGES!!! Here's a brief tutorial below: And Thanks!!!! Your items look nice too!!!!!

zTutorialForIMAGES2.jpg

6. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Nice layout!!!!! :)

7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Thanks King :D!

KingofThings likes this.
  8. KingofThings

And to see on phones. :)

Aquitaine likes this.
  9. KingofThings

Yes....a PITA to look at photos on a phone. :p
    I use my phone about half the time while here.

10. Figtree3

I use it less than half, but at least a couple of times a week. It is better when the photos are Full Image.

KingofThings likes this.
  11. TheVeryThoughtOfYou

TheVeryThoughtOfYou New Member

I did choose full image, actually. It just keeps telling me the files are too large! So I made the pictures half the size so they'd upload.

12. Figtree3

Perfect! They look good.

13. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Wedgwood Dating......................never happened, unless it was with a Darwin..............

sorry - I held out as long as I could........................

14. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

What is EBTH?

komokwa likes this.
  15. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Draft saved Draft deleted