Featured Wedgwood Pattern Help

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by cxgirl, Jul 30, 2020.

1. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Hi All,
    sorry, only 1 photo - I'm trying to figure out what the patterns are? I thought the pattern on the teapot was sacrifice, but apparently that is the pattern on the jug (from looking on Replacements). I can't find a site with patterns, if anyone has one a link would be great:)
    any help appreciated.
    thanks for looking
    116640386_330605447973430_6836509507061889721_n.png

2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I was just looking. Searching the internet has really become a problem. All I kept getting not matter what search words I used, were Replacements, Ebay, Etsy - just sales places.
    No history.

I did find this one catalog page. Notice there are no pattern names. So wondering if Wedgwood even used them. Not sure that I have seen pattern names associated with Jasperware.
    upload_2020-7-30_23-7-44.png

Wonder if @say_it_slowly or @janetpjohn have any references for Wedgwood.

Maybe @Bronwen can tell you who they are.

Bronwen, blooey, i need help and 5 others like this.
  3. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

thanks cluttered:) I thought it was just me, searches are frustrating these days.
    Maybe they didn't have a pattern name, could be names that have been 'made up' over the years:)

Bronwen, bluumz, i need help and 2 others like this.
  4. clutteredcloset49

We're being shown only what they want us to see.
    I type in history of companies. All I get are sales sites for the company or others similar.
    What was really frustrating, I used all kinds of different word searches for Wedgwood. I kept getting the same page of sales sites just in different order.

Bronwen and i need help like this.
  5. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

6. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Bronwen likes this.
  7. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Bronwen likes this.
  8. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

If I remember right @gregsglass is a wedgwood fan if not collector. Maybe he can help,

9. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I remember borrowing a book from the library that had most of the Wedgwood designs shown, described and named. I always wanted that book and hated to return it. I was able to name 99% of my collection. I have over 300 pieces but still searching for the white and black pattern for my individual cigarette holders for the dining room table. I have 11 different ones but one broke. I was hoping someone would find a replacement for me. Only saw one and it was over 200 bucks. Too rich for my pockets right now. When I was not looking for one I used to see them all of the time, now it has been 5 years and nada.
    greg

Bronwen likes this.
  10. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

I don't want to hijack, but can't think of how else to ask--what does an individual cigarette holder look like?

Bronwen likes this.
  11. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Janet,
    They are 3 1/2" tall. wedgwood-jasperware-lilac-bud-vase_1_26d9cdadd7161643d1645e65b1441f0d.jpg

Bronwen likes this.
  12. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

Thanks for showing that. I had no idea.

clutteredcloset49 and Bronwen like this.
  13. lvetterli

lvetterli Well-Known Member

14. lvetterli

lvetterli Well-Known Member

Wondering if using another search engine like Bing could be productive.

Bronwen likes this.
  15. clutteredcloset49

That's what I use.
    In the last few months I have seen a steady decline in the search.

16. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

John Flaxman was an early modeler for Wedgwood. This is one resource:

https://ia902608.us.archive.org/10/items/wedgwoodscatalo00metegoog/wedgwoodscatalo00metegoog.pdf

Early on Wedgwood bought impressions from James Tassie, which Tassie took from engraved gems in the collections of illustrious collectors. When they became competitors, Wedgwood turned more to original work in the neoclassical style. Decorations on a piece rarely seem to add up to one coherent scene; more like individual vignettes.

Another Meteyard reference:

https://books.google.com/books?id=i...bRAhWDQCYKHedBBEgQ6AEINjAF#v=onepage&q&f=true

Other members have had good luck with inquiries to the Wedgwood Museum:

http://www.wedgwoodmuseum.org.uk/

Many of the decorations are known simply as 'sacrificial scene', 'sacrificial figure', 'sacrificial priest', etc.

When a decoration is taken from an engraved gem with a recognized subject, such as those in the Raspe catalogue of the Tassie impressions, those title have been attached & preserved. When designs are those of their own modelers, names tend to be vague, or inconsistent. Flaxman's so-called Dancing Hours are an exception.

Draft saved Draft deleted