Wedgwood piece - any ideas?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Skyeamelia, Oct 15, 2020.

1. Skyeamelia

Skyeamelia New Member

Hi everyone, here is a tricky one. This piece is Wedgwood, and it is stamped on the bottom but the photo I have is very blurry. The design is lovely - orange/gold leaf shape oblong dish. Anyone know when this would have been made?

IMG_8657.jpg IMG_1228.jpg

2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Just from the style... late 1970s? Early 80s? A clean shot of the mark would help someone who knows Wedgwood.

3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Much earlier. It's an underplate for a sauce or gravy boat, and probably late 19th.

Skyeamelia likes this.
  4. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Very close indeed. I wish I could see that mark better. The font is the giveaway to dating.

Skyeamelia likes this.
  6. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

7. Skyeamelia

Skyeamelia New Member

8. Ision

Ision Member

The plate is definitely pre-1929, according to the impressed Wedgwood stamping, which still has serifs on the font. In fact, this underplate probably dates from the late 1820s, or early 1830s. It is part of a popular service by Wedgwood of the time, many of which survive.

Therefore, this makes this particular plate valuable in today's market, as a replacement piece for existing services, which cost several thousand dollars to purchase and are usually offered at pricey auctions, such as Christies.

PortableTreasures and Skyeamelia like this.
  9. Skyeamelia

Skyeamelia New Member

thank you !!

10. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

It would probably help to see a clear shot of the mark on the original piece. The drabware set in the liveauctioneer post sold for $2,600 in 2017 for the entire set.

Draft saved Draft deleted