Featured Wedgwood Plate - Charlotte Pattern 18XX's?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by chrisjs87, Sep 16, 2019.

1. chrisjs87

chrisjs87 New Member

I've read some articles on how to date this plate using the lettering system, but I'm not 100% sure I'm doing right and could use some help. I believe it's reading "EFM L" but I want to make sure I'm interpreting the year/maker correctly

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
    Marzena, Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  2. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

3. chrisjs87

chrisjs87 New Member

So that would be the M portion then correct? The last letter is the year?

i need help and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. chrisjs87

chrisjs87 New Member

And the preceding letters correspond to the date, correct?

i need help and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. Ratsy Brown

Ratsy Brown Well-Known Member

6. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

According to this, if it is EFM then the E would stand for the month (but I'm not sure which month) and the M would stand for the year 1884, which is the date listed on the chart on this page.

http://www.thepotteries.org/mark/w/wedgwood-date.html

The middle letter F would stand for "the potter who threw the shape" according to that page.

7. chrisjs87

chrisjs87 New Member

What does the “L” running sideways next to the 3 letters represent?

i need help likes this.
  8. chrisjs87

chrisjs87 New Member

Is this plate fairly run-of-the-mill or is there some collectible value given the year and pattern? I’ve read queensware can be be popular...but considering it’s only a single plate in average condition would there be any reason to have it appraised?

9. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I'm not sure... does anybody else know?

10. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

Even in excellent condition, I imagine an appraisal would cost more than the plate is worth. Keep an eye on ebay sold listings. The only thing I saw was a blue platter that sold in the $120 range.
    I don't know about the L, either--some kind of factory code.

Figtree3 and bercrystal like this.
  11. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

dgbjwc likes this.
  12. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I would recommend searching "queensware" on ebay to get a feel for what most folks think of when they hear the term.
    Don

13. chrisjs87

chrisjs87 New Member

It appears that one of two things has happened here:

1. I completely and utterly misread the article I was reading while researching this plate.

2. I was reading an article by someone who has absolutely no idea what queensware is, or what is/is not popular with Wedgwood varieties.

I’m going with the former.

Thanks for the help.

BoudiccaJones and dgbjwc like this.
  14. chrisjs87

chrisjs87 New Member

Does anyone have a worthpoint account that would be willing to give me some price ranges?

Draft saved Draft deleted