Wedgwood Style Porcelain Covered Jar

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by dgbjwc, Oct 10, 2019.

1. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hello Board Friends - I'm looking for help on who made this Wedgwood style covered dish. It stands 7" to the top of the finial. Both top and base are unmarked. I believe the top is pot metal with a thin coating of silver plate (?). The top may be varnished and is a bit heavy both visually and in weight. I think the white decoration is applied. The last picture shows an area on the border where I think it was smudged when the border was matched up. Any help on the who, what, when, where would be very much appreciated. Thank you!
    Don

IMG_20191010_152200906.jpg IMG_20191010_152217905.jpg IMG_20191010_152248612.jpg IMG_20191010_152917991.jpg

Aquitaine and scoutshouse like this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Adams, possibly.

scoutshouse, Sandra, dgbjwc and 2 others like this.
  3. Sandra

Sandra Well-Known Member

Is there a lip inside the lid that fits inside the pot? It doesn't overlap the lip on the
    rim, it almost looks like it's perched there, causing me to wonder if the lid is original to the piece.

Dudson and Ecanada are 2 other manufacturers of jasperware that may be worth investigation.

Figtree3, judy and scoutshouse like this.
  4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Good point on the lid. And if it had one, it's possible that might have had a Wedgwood mark. Although, that sloppy sprig would never have escaped the factory.

5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

In that 3rd picture: is there something on the inside of the far rim?

judy, Sandra and scoutshouse like this.
  6. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

I "think" I see something on the inside of the far rim in the fourth (4th) photo.

judy, Bakersgma and Sandra like this.
  7. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Thank you owned and Sandra. I'll research those names.

It's quite possible the lid doesn't belong. It is perched there and the fit is not very tight. The bowl would stand on its own as a small jardiniere. I had some doubts myself about the lid but the two pieces were sold as a set so...

Just a dirt smudge that I missed.

Just a wrinkle in a faint rim ridge I'm afraid.

Thank you all so much for your comments.
    Don

judy, Sandra and yourturntoloveit like this.
  8. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Schafer Vater marks are notoriously hard to see.
    Any chance there is something here
    upload_2019-10-10_22-9-24.png

The mark as it should be
    upload_2019-10-10_22-11-9.png upload_2019-10-10_22-11-38.png

9. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I'm sorry I didn't respond sooner to thank you, cluttered. I can see the area you are referring to but just can't make out whether there is a mark or not. Schafer Vater seems a distinct possibility though. Their quality control was not always the best especially on their jasperware style. I'm going to list it as a possible SV and without the lid.
    Don

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted