Featured Wedgwood Viéux Rouen Egg Cup- curious

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by KSW, Apr 26, 2020.

1. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Curious only because the examples I can find on the internet are all white not this cream colour?
    I know it’s got a horrible repair but I’m rather fond of it. If I soaked it in acetone, would it likely come apart so I could attempt a better repair?. If so what is the glue of choice?
    IMG_2702.jpg IMG_2703.jpg IMG_2704.jpg

2. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

Christmasjoy and scoutshouse like this.
  3. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

If you soak in acetone it would have to be a sealed container as it evaporates and the vapours are not good for your lungs.

4. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

5. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Use paint stripper then clean off residue completely. After cleaning, fit parts together dry then touch the seam with Krazy glue. Best repair possible.

Christmasjoy, KSW and scoutshouse like this.
  6. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

It depends on what glue was used as to what would dissolve it. You could start with warm soapy water and let it soak.

7. say_it_slowly

8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@blooey, that won't hurt the glaze on the piece???

Christmasjoy likes this.
  9. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

No it won't affect it in the slightest. Pro restorers soak all their badly repaired stoneware and porcelain in it to undo old restorations.

Christmasjoy and Aquitaine like this.
  10. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Is your Krazy glue our Super Glue do you think?. The stuff that bonds your fingers in seconds?

bercrystal, blooey and Christmasjoy like this.
  11. say_it_slowly

I know people use super glue/krazy glue. It's been awhile since I read up on adhesives but I wanted to mention that I think those types of glue can actually cause damage to the body over time (as I recall). I guess it depends on why you're gluing it. I just wanted to put that out there in case you get pedantic like I do over things sometimes.

KSW likes this.
  12. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I like to do things properly!. Can't stand a botch job :)

say_it_slowly likes this.
  13. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Grateful and KSW like this.
  14. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Yes superglue. I've used it for years on many many broken CERAMIC or organic material (ivory etc) pieces. It will last out your lifetime if you use it as I advise. Assemble first, get the thinnest variety you can. do not apply it and try to put pieces together - that will not work. You MUST apply it to the crack and let it be drawn in by capillary action. Hold pieces in place for 10 seconds. Done!

In practical terms, it is the best, fastest, permanent and most undetectable repair possible.

KSW likes this.
  15. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

That's very helpful.
    I wouldn't have known to assemble it first. Thankyou

blooey likes this.
  16. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Update
    I emailed the Wedgwood Archive and got this response.

‘First of all, many thanks for your patience in awaiting an answer to your enquiry. Due to the Coronovirus, many of the Museum staff were placed on furlough, and we have only in the course of the last couple of days returned to work - it's nice to be back!

I am afraid however that the Museum is still shut, and as a result, we are working from home, so we do have limited resources. The white ones that you have seen are made of Queen's Ware, which is our name for white-ish creamy earthenware. That yellower version that you have is in fact a different ceramic body entirely, it's called caneware. I have had a look in our collections online to show you a plate in the same sort of caneware, but with a different decoration. http://www.wedgwoodmuseum.org.uk/co...rilobite-dish-with-hand-painted-purple-lustre

Looking at the impressed Wedgwood stamp across the bottom, I suspect that it was probably made c. 1930.

All best wishes, especially in the current situation,

Lucy Lead

Archivist

The Wedgwood Musuem

SBSVC likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted