Featured Wedgwood?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by LPreget, Jul 1, 2020.

1. LPreget

LPreget New Member

Hello,

I am new to Wedgwood and although knowing the name I know nothing about them, I found this partial set in a local charity shop. I brought 1 of the 3 items and have the other 2 on hold.

Before I buy the other peices (although very cheap) I wanted to know if they are real Wedgwood and if so their dating.

A little bit of research told me the marking could come from 1878-1900 although I'm very unsure due to the fading (which seems odd that the mark has faded houwever the patter hasn't)

Any help would be much appreciated
    IMG_7651.JPG IMG_7653.JPG IMG_7652.JPG IMG_7654.JPG
    p.s sorry I forgot to take pictures of the stamp/marks on the 2 peices I left in the charity shop

Mugzinnys, KSW, lloyd249 and 2 others like this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I can't really see what profit there would be in forging these. Portland vase without stars is supposed to be what you already know, 1878 - 1900.

pearlsnblume, KSW and lloyd249 like this.
  3. LPreget

LPreget New Member

Thank you, my thoughts exactly. Do you know any way to confirm if these are real or fake?

pearlsnblume and lloyd249 like this.
  4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

The Wedgwood Museum have been very kind in answering questions in the past, but don't know if anyone would be working right now.

http://www.wedgwoodmuseum.org.uk/

bercrystal and lloyd249 like this.
  5. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

For that price, it would all be going home with me!

6. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

Buy this now, ask questions later!
    I wouldn't hesitate for such beautiful pieces.

7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Buy them. Absolutely right and a bargain.

8. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Randomly I know the answer to this and yes they are!
    Lovely lady answered my questions about an eggcup today. They have just come back off furlough.
    That reminds me I need to update the post I put on here about it

Bronwen and bercrystal like this.
  9. LPreget

LPreget New Member

Thank you all for the reply’s!

I couldn’t let them go real or not as they are so gorgeous. All 3 now home with me :)

I did manage to find (after 3hours of googling) a matching cup and saucer which sold for £75 so fingers crossed some one somewhere will be able to help me identify them!

10. Ownedbybear

well done you. There's a good Wedgwood Facebook page, might be worth trying there as well.

11. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

12. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

i need help, pearlsnblume and Bronwen like this.
  13. LPreget

LPreget New Member

Many thanks again! and well found online
    I will try the Facebook page and see if someone is able to tell me if they are real or reproductions

thanks again!

14. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

To my knowledge, the Adams pattern was not faked.
    What makes you think it's a possibility?

Bronwen likes this.
  15. LPreget

LPreget New Member

I have no experience or knowledge in this area however there is only the Wedgwood stamp/mark and no number/lettering for the specific piece, nor is there the name Adams on it like in the example posted above

It looks like the transfer technique although it doesn't look like it has been done very well as there is a slight over lap.

I'll post some more pictures of it, so you can see clearly - is there anything in particular that would show it's a fake or show it's real (eg the finish)? It is interesting that you say to your knowledge the Adams print wasn't faked.

Bronwen likes this.
  16. LPreget

LPreget New Member

Here are the pictures of the printing/transfer bit that makes me wonder if the quality is at Wedgwood's standard - although I guess this could be down to the age and lack of modern technology, what do you think? IMG_7664.JPG IMG_7666.JPG IMG_7667.JPG

Bronwen likes this.
  17. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

They may have been considered seconds & therefore not fully marked.

bluumz and Bronwen like this.
  18. Ownedbybear

Older transferware often has overlaps or misses. It was done by humans!

Draft saved Draft deleted