Featured Weighted Sterling: Any Good Tips To Estimating The Silver Weight

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Joe2007, Sep 23, 2019.

1. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Have passed up some cheap weighted sterling candlesticks and similar items at auction since I don't know how much they weight. I've seen a local coin dealer scrapping weighted pieces and the sterling can be almost paper thin in places .... so that scares me off on bidding on these.

Any good tips on guesstimating interior construction and actual silver weight?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
  2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I've peeled a few and while there is some silver it's not as much as I'd like;). I've looked for a "rule of thumb" guide before but haven't found a way yet to guess so I'll be interested in ideas. Basically weighted has to be dirt cheap for me to take an interest.

This site takes apart a candle holder similar to some often seen and gives the weight of the silver in it.

https://www.redollar.com/edu/how-much-silver-in-weighted-silver.html

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
    LIbraryLady, cxgirl, Joe2007 and 2 others like this.
  3. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Great information. Thank you.

pearlsnblume and scoutshouse like this.
  4. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Buy some and tear it apart. Cheaper than college education. You will get a feel for various brands construction.
    scraps 001.JPG
    This is currently 14 pounds. It adds up.

Figtree3, judy, Christmasjoy and 6 others like this.
  5. coreya

coreya Well-Known Member

I've stripped a few and found that the full size single candle holders have about an ounce and 1/4 to 1/2 per pair (depending on make). The smaller ones just under an ounce per pair. The larger multiple holders will range between 2-4 ounces +- give or take. I don't usually buy them unless I can get them for 2-4 bucks per pair for the singles.

Figtree3, judy, Joe2007 and 5 others like this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

the taller they are the better the value as the weight is on the bottom..

7. terry5732

The top section is usually filled too

judy, Christmasjoy, Joe2007 and 3 others like this.
  8. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

I've torn apart broken silver candlesticks in the past to melt them for scrap. There's VERY little silver. It's basically silver foil. That's it.

9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I wasn't aware of that..! :oops:

judy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  10. terry5732

weighted 001.JPG weighted 002.JPG weighted 003.JPG weighted 004.JPG weighted 005.JPG weighted 006.JPG weighted 007.JPG weighted 008.JPG weighted 009.JPG weighted 010.JPG
    Once the ends are off, just rapping it with a hard object usually shatters the pitch or plaster filling. Squeezing with channel locks around the middle fractures the tougher stuff around the steel rod.

This was one of the thinner types. Duchin Creations may be a bit lighter. Generally the older the heavier, the newer the thinner.

Figtree3, all_fakes, judy and 6 others like this.
  11. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Great info and photos, thanks for posting that! As much as I want to sometimes I can bring myself to tear these apart. I somewhat envy your ability to do so and it somewhat makes me cringe lol. I just accidentally bought some weighted candy dishes/compote dishes and have a handful of candle sticks that may meet that fate some day if I can stomach it. Every time I come upon cheap weighted silver I'm trying to guesstimate what's there, this was helpful.

Lucille.b, judy, Christmasjoy and 2 others like this.
  12. terry5732

These are some of the worst things to deal with. Took nearly a half hour to destroy for 30 grams. 14 001.JPG 14 002.JPG 14 003.JPG 14 004.JPG

judy, Joe2007, anundverkaufen and 2 others like this.
  13. terry5732

14. terry5732

I've bought thousands of these. I don't recall seein them marked inside the rim like this before. Some of the lightest ones I've had. One Troy for eight of them.
    rog 001.JPG rog 002.JPG rog 003.JPG rog 005.JPG

Lucille.b and Joe2007 like this.
  15. terry5732

That's all they're worth
    waited 001.JPG waited 002.JPG waited 003.JPG

16. J Dagger

Fantastic info and pics!!!! I’ve never seen the mark inside like that either. Good to know. I’ve seen a few I would think were silver but with no marks, maybe I missed them if it was there. Crazy that each ashtray yielded less than 4g! I would have though a little more. Going back up I now notice you said they were light relatively speaking. The mirror by contrast must have been a very heavy one relatively speaking? Brushes seem to be the cheapest sterling item I find outside of the shirt Candle sticks. Next time you test one up I would love to see the results! Also any larger footed bowls I would be curious about! Thanks for sharing!

Figtree3 likes this.
  17. J Dagger

I had a good weekend for weighted items that made me glad I don’t tear them up. 2x Frank M Whiting coasters/ashtrays advertised for $45 (because hey why not!) I had them up for a month or so locally. I got a couple offers of around $20-$25 and turned them down. Finally got a guy to come take them for $45! While he was on the way I remembered I had an Alvin short candlestick laying around. Offered it to him for $20 and he wanted it! Nice guy so I knocked off $5 for him when he got here. All in all 2x coasters + 1x candlestick = $60! Not bad if you can get it! Beats the $10 I would have got in scrap and I didn’t have to destroy them. I just had to wait a month or so lol.

Figtree3 and cxgirl like this.
  18. Asian Fever

Asian Fever Well-Known Member

scrap tham all? :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

19. Zeppelin78

Zeppelin78 Well-Known Member

All I can say is wear gloves it’s like working with razor blades

Draft saved Draft deleted