Weird Jointed Policeman & Hobo Figures

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by drg642, Jun 21, 2015.

1. drg642

drg642 Well-Known Member

The figures are about 4 3/4 inches tall, made from some kind of pottery, and jointed. They came together on the bench, but don't know if they really go with it. The hobo is a mess: loose joints, restrung, head broken off and glued back. The policeman has some chips and paint loss, but can sit or stand up.

Any thoughts at all? I saw some items called Victorian miniatures by Hantel, which are new collectibles in pewter. They had a cop that looked a lot like this, much smaller, and new of course.

I was recently watching an old Antiques Roadshow that I had taped, and they had a set of 3 cats, same size, not jointed I don't think, but sort of reminded me of these. They were appraised at 7-800 each if I remember correctly. Hah!

xjqu1.JPG xjqu2.JPG xjqu3.JPG

lauragarnet and KingofThings like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

These 2 are characters from an early 1900's? comic strip, but darned if I can remember the names right now.

3. drg642

drg642 Well-Known Member

Thanks Bakers, I'll see what I can find.

KingofThings likes this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Happy Hooligan

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

for the hobo , anyways...

KingofThings likes this.
  6. Bakersgma

7. Bakersgma

8. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I wonder if they were puppets because of the way they are jointed ? The bench may not be "original" but it looks great with them.

KingofThings likes this.
  9. drg642

drg642 Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone, Happy Hooligan it is. I saw a few references to the policeman, but no names. They could have originally been puppets. I saw a lot of Happy Hooligan figures and a few of the policeman, but not these specific ones. Don't think they'll be worth much in this condition, but they're still cool.

10. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Are these composition? If so, I don't think they are in that bad of shape. These would have to be pretty rare. However, I also think that those who remember these characters and, even more so those who collect them, are few and far between these days.

11. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

The cop is just that; The Cop. :)

yourturntoloveit and lauragarnet like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted