Featured Weird paperweight....

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Aquitaine, May 7, 2016.

1. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I'm not looking for any value 'cuz I don't think there is any! But did someone take a broken one and try to do something very different with it??? In the one side picture you can see that it looks like it was "dipped".....the majority of the upper half is not as 'shiny' as the lower half......where you can see all of the cut pieces (don't remember what they are called) are all 'kittywhompus'.......my Mother had it since we were all kids......AGAIN, thanks for all and any input!!!! BTW....that's a little porcelain doll in it.......nearly forgot.....paperweight dimensions are 2 3/4" at the widest, 2" in height.
    Sue

Paperweight3.jpg Paperweight4.jpg Paperweight5.jpg Paperweight6.jpg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I think it just grew there from a demon alien seed....and you should kill it quickly !!!!:jawdrop:

3. msgood2shoe

msgood2shoe Well-Known Member

I wonder if it is suppose to represent the baby Jesus. Marbles with figurines in them are called "sulphides" Try searching that

KingofThings likes this.
  4. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Seem to recall St. Clair making some similar sulfide paperweights...

~Cheryl

KingofThings likes this.
  5. Aquitaine

Thanks...just checked out a gazillion links.....they all look nice....not like the mess mine is!!!! But, yes, I'd say otherwise, along those lines....

KingofThings likes this.
  6. Aquitaine

St. Clair's are nice too!!! Mine really does look like a "home-made" mess of some sort, but wasn't sure......guess I just might have my answer.....there is no signature or writing of any kind on it either.....
    Thanks for trying!!!

KingofThings likes this.
  7. lauragarnet

lauragarnet Well-Known Member

Bronwen and KingofThings like this.
  8. Aquitaine

(AND ANOTHER reply disappears into thin air!!!....unless I forgot to hit 'post') Thanks Msgood2! Looked at a whole bunch of very nice paperweights with sulphide......But mine's looking more like very novice!!! Thanks Though! All help gratefully received!!!

KingofThings likes this.
  9. Aquitaine

KingofThings likes this.
  10. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I love it because its so weird !

11. lauragarnet

via: Allan's Paperweights www.paperweights.com
    Sulphide Paperweights
    "Sulphides Paperweights are those that contain cast objects (animals, flowers, people) made of a ceramic material that has properties similar to the surrounding glass. They are normally white, but are also sometimes colored or even painted. The objects are cast in a mold that copied or made directly from a medallion, coin or sculpture. Often the object is surrounded by a millefiori or lampwork garland, but it may also appear alone. The finest sulphides are cast in a mold made by a skilled artist. Sulphides are often closely related to historical events and famous people.

Sometimes a sulphide will have a silvery appearance due to a thin layer of trapped bubbles between the glass and the sulphide itself....."

http://www.paperweights.com/paperweights/sulphide.htm

KingofThings and gimbler-dave like this.
  12. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I can't ever recall seeing a St. Clair paperweight (and we've got hundreds) that used canes. It looks like an experiment that went horribly wrong.
    Don

13. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Don - I'm sure you're right, was just thinking of those they did with Kewpies, and other cute little figures...

~Cheryl

KingofThings likes this.
  14. gimbler-dave

gimbler-dave Well-Known Member

Weird is always good for value. And yours is really weird! Cool item!

KingofThings likes this.
  15. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

In the first pic....the cane above and to the right of her head seems to have something different in the middle of it. Could it be a mark?

KingofThings likes this.
  16. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hi Cheryl! Oh, yes - they did all kinds of sulfide critters including kewpies. Didn't mean to sound critical - I just typed a little too much in haste. :) The St. Clair sulfides tend to go a bit out of my budget most of the time but I've gotten a couple. I'm not sure but Joe Rice may also have made sulfides. Most folks don't realize that there is unmarked St. Clair out there.
    Don

17. Aquitaine

Wonderful Information!!! Thank you SO much 'lauragarnet'!!!

KingofThings and lauragarnet like this.
  18. Aquitaine

Thanks Don.....sort of my sentiments too........Sue

KingofThings likes this.
  19. lauragarnet

All thanks goes to Allan's Paperweights site. :joyful: Between you and Kardinalisimo with your interesting glass paperweights, I landed on that site every time I searched. I put it in my bookmarks.

Hey, could you post some pictures of your paperweight from different angles? I'm having trouble visualizing the exact shape, and also the 'dipped', and not 'shiny' bits of your description.

KingofThings likes this.
  20. Aquitaine

I just looked again at the backside pic of my paperweight....are my eyes playing tricks on me or am I seeing a small dog.....am re-posting the pic with the area highlited.....BUT....I can't find it under high magnification.....YET!!!!! Now, that's just plain bizarre.............??? And yes, I will try to post different angles a bit later.....

Paperweight4A.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted