Featured Weird.

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Daisy1900, Aug 23, 2019.

1. Daisy1900

Daisy1900 Member

Hello,
    here are two necklaces I once found at a charity shop. I was questionned by the golden links and back home found all the main links in both necklaces do test positive for 18k gold.
    I don't really get the concept of having gold mixed with brass and wood on the first one (maybe a designer piece - no signature), as well as on the second one (glass beads, brass findings, a really normal clasps and then these gold links ?

Any ideas ?

11.jpg

ulilwitch, kyratango and Christmasjoy like this.
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Gold-filled is my guess.

3. Daisy1900

Daisy1900 Member

this is what a also thought, but acid test says gold 18 K.

ulilwitch likes this.
  4. Daisy1900

Daisy1900 Member

5. evelyb30

Gold-filled can scratch test like the real deal if it's the older version. But.... you never know. Some jewelers did crazy things. At one point gold prices were regulated and sometimes you run across weird jewelry that wouldn't be made in real gold now.

Xristina, ulilwitch and Daisy1900 like this.
  6. Daisy1900

Daisy1900 Member

Yes I know, therefore I kind of really insisted :).
    Can any other metal than gold give a positive gold test ? Any other way to test ?

ulilwitch likes this.
  7. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

There seem to be a few links where you might, with a loupe, get a peak at the end of the wire. See if it's gold all the way through.

Xristina, ulilwitch and Daisy1900 like this.
  8. Daisy1900

Daisy1900 Member

good idea, will put a link off to test.

9. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Um, there was a period in the middle of the last century when folks would try to turn precious metals into mundane objects in order to get the objects past those that would inspect and confiscate (as in leaving Austria, Germany Italy, etc.) I also worked with a woman who did likewise with gold to get it out of South Africa back when you couldn't take anything of any value out of the country.

Daisy1900 and Jivvy like this.
  10. Gus Tuason

Gus Tuason Well-Known Member

Note that the links on the first one are not soldered where as the ones on the second one do appear to have been soldered. The soldered ones may very well be 18K whereas the unsoldered ones would be suspect. Is the second necklace agate or plastic?

Daisy1900 likes this.
  11. evelyb30

Glass, from the looks of them.

Daisy1900 likes this.
  12. Daisy1900

Daisy1900 Member

Hi -
    I disassembled a link of the first one. The section appears like "white metal" but still test positive for 18 K. Maybe my acid has a problem, although it erases easily plated gold and other metals. I really don't know. Still very weird.
    Second one is glass beads for sure, no agate .

13. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

A local scrapper told me the best thing to do when home testing is do the scratch test and leave it for 30 minutes. If it holds it is gold, gold filled it will be gone by then.

Daisy1900 likes this.
  14. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I have the identical necklace to that stripy glass one. Bohemian/Czech 1920s/30s. Never tested mine.

Draft saved Draft deleted