Weller or Roseville jardiniere

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Jen and George, Aug 12, 2015.

1. Jen and George

Jen and George Well-Known Member

George bought this last week from a man who swore it was a piece of unmarked Roseville. Since we don't collect Roseville, his identification didn't matter, but George thought it looked an awful lot like Weller, Flemish, Zona, or even Roma. It has a slightly green cast. In the 1979 Huxford book a vaguely similar one is shown on page 134. The jard is 7.5" high, 8" across the top and 5" on the bottom. Thanks for your help. IMG_2392.JPG IMG_2390.JPG IMG_2388.JPG

KingofThings likes this.
  2. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

Except for the color, it looks like one of the Ivory pots shown in Huxford's Weller. There are lots of patterns not in my books.

KingofThings likes this.
  3. Jen and George

I agree with you about the Ivory and about the many, many patterns. A friend has a Weller Zona pitcher that is also very similar and has that vague greenish tint.

KingofThings likes this.
  4. Jen and George

Forgot to say this.....probably doesn't mean anything but the feel of the glaze is Weller. The pot has the weight and that soft smooth finish that I always associate with some Weller. It feels just like my Roma pieces and my Clinton pieces. Not sure that's proof of anything.

KingofThings likes this.
  5. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

I had to get out the book again, but look at p. 139, top row.

6. Jen and George

Thank you for taking the time to find that picture. George will be happy to know he was right about it being a Weller piece. Wonder now if we could find another Ivory with color and if it has a different name.

7. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

In that finish I would vote for Roma. It's a lovely piece. My find this week was the squirrel jardiniere on pg. 125 second row. I really like the Ivory pieces.
    Don

8. Jen and George

I like the Ivory pieces, too. Love the feel of them.
    Really like the squirrel jard.

Draft saved Draft deleted