Featured Weller Pottery Ewer Signed by Louwelsa Weller

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by dude, Nov 21, 2021.

1. dude

dude Well-Known Member

I've seen similar examples, but none with the artist's name signed in cursive. Does that make this an earlier and more valuable piece? This one has a lip chip and some wear, but I'm still curious what a pristine one books at or has sold for. Thanks! 20211121_163953.jpg 20211121_163945 (1).jpg

2. LauraGarnet02

LauraGarnet02 Well-Known Member

Louwelsa is the name of the line/decor, not the name of a person.
    Weller Pottery Co. made hundreds of named lines.
    You should probably be able to find some recent "sold for" prices by searching ebay completed auctions.

3. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Louwelsa Weller is not the artist, it is the 'line' name. Louwelsa pieces are always dark brown, high glazed with various paintings on them. If it is artist signed you'll have to look on the body for a signature. Most pieces aren't artist signed.

bercrystal, Lucille.b, dude and 2 others like this.
  4. wiscbirddog

Laura beat me - lol

5. wiscbirddog

As Laura said: check eBay sold prices. Prices are very depressed in the Louwelsa line and damage will further the problem.

dude and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  6. wiscbirddog

7. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I remember getting one (different shape) of these pieces a few years ago. They do have a nice warm, handsome look about them. Too bad prices are down.

dude and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  8. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

9. dude

dude Well-Known Member

Thanks all for the replies so far. Definitely helpful and I'm surprised how little these are fetching. Still hoping to learn why, unlike similar examples online, mine has the Louwelsa line signed in cursive.

pearlsnblume and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  10. LauraGarnet02

LauraGarnet02 Well-Known Member

Yes I was wondering the same thing signed by hand versus a stamped mark.

dude likes this.
  11. wiscbirddog

I've seen many Louwelsa pieces signed in cursive, no big deal.

The line was named after his daughter, Louisa.

There are pieces of blue Louwelsa - they would probably be an exception to the rule of basement prices. I saw one piece in person back in the 70s.

LauraGarnet02 and dude like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted