Weller Pottery Hudson Vase

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by mr2real, Dec 4, 2015.

1. mr2real

mr2real Active Member

This vase is massive, 16" tall. I've tried to ID it in the past, but dismissed it as studio work when the signature Alice Ashby offered no leads. It reminds me of a few pieces I've seen attributed to the Weller Pottery hudson line. The vase weight and construction are simliar to that of Weller too. It's decorated on all side with the first picture being the focal point, three butterflies total. Unfortunately it does have a large hairline from the rim to about the middle of the vase. Any thoughts are appreciated. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

lauragarnet and KingofThings like this.
  2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Pretty! :)

3. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

The decoration is Wisteria, if that might help.

KingofThings likes this.
  4. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hi mr2real - is the painting on top of or under the glaze? If on top I would say hobbyist.
    Don

KingofThings likes this.
  5. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Sorry for the double post. My computer is acting up.
    Don

KingofThings likes this.
  6. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I was thinking a hobbyist piece also. It looks like an oil jar. Not that they held oil but it is the name for tall vases like that.
    greg

7. mr2real

mr2real Active Member

The decoration is underglaze. The pink decoration on top is also covers the interior (not sure if that's consistent with Weller Hudson). When handling the vase itself minus the decoration, I get a feel that it was manufactured in an American factory. I just happened to see a piece of Weller hudson line today and noticed some similarities. Thanks for the replies.

8. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Not Weller Hudson or any of the other mainstream potteries that did such work. I am thinking hobbyist work.

9. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

Does the interior pink glaze cover the entire inside? Or is it white? All glazed interior, probably not super new China or hobbyist made-that is the vase its self. I would like to see a close of the glazes at the top and around the bottom. They look very pale and not like early color glazes you see from Weller and alike. The wisteria def looks newer. The white glaze underside with dry foot is also not hobbyist. Okay I am rambling now. I think the vase was probably originally white and revamped by the signed artist in1980s when pastels were popular. Vase maybe slightly older.

Draft saved Draft deleted