Weller pottery SQUIRREL bowl --are older ones more valuable?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Lucille.b, Aug 31, 2018.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I've actually kept this estate find for a couple of years because I like it so much.

But moving some things out... can anyone help me with a few questions? Ebay searching these, this style is easily found, but seem to have a huge range in values. Some even seem to have less quality (newer?) and don't sell for much --like $30. Has the market just completely dropped for this kind of thing? Or are older ones more desirable?

Also if I do sell, how would you describe a bit of roughness on one ear. Should I say "scuff"? "fleabite"? (see last photo.) sq1.jpg sq2.jpg sq2c.jpg sq55.jpg

Thanks.

judy and Bakersgma like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Can't help with your question, but that is adorable!

i need help, Lucille.b and judy like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

if pieces are missing then....chipped....

i need help and Lucille.b like this.
  4. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Value has dropped across the board for these. Just too many of them out there. As far as I know age has no effect on value. Brighter colors and the range of colors used may matter. Regardless, the higher prices are just wishful thinking. I think I would describe the ear issue as glaze flakes. The glaze was thinner when it was applied to the ears (not unusual on the high points of pottery figurines) and probably crazed and then flaked off. Or sometimes I just describe these areas as "roughness". Your picture really tells the story so I wouldn't be too concerned on exact wording.
    Don

5. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Helpful, Don. Thanks.

judy and i need help like this.
  6. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Weller Woodcraft. Prices are very low these days & the condition doesn't help you any either. I sold my whole collection years ago when prices were high.

judy, Bronwen and Lucille.b like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted