West German dolls

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Vintinella, May 23, 2019.

1. Vintinella

Vintinella Member

Hello knowledgeable people :)

I don't usually "hunt" for dolls, but I just found these couple of adorable ones and don't know anything about them...age nor origin.

Sorry if I posted under the wrong topic!

Thank you!

*1*

d1.jpg d2.jpg

*2*
    d3.jpg
    d4.jpg
    *3*

d5.jpg d6.jpg

*4*

d7.jpg d8.jpg

Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Hi Vintinella........

None of them have very much age.

Considered new by antique doll collectors.

You mention West German dolls.......marked as such?

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    Bronwen and Vintinella like this.
  3. Vintinella

Vintinella Member

Hi Judy,

there are no special marks on dolls that would imply that, I just put W.Germany as an orientation since I found them in that area :)

Didn't think they are much old, but just wanted to have any kind of idea of the age and origin (especially this one with national costume). No. 2 and 3 are porcelain dolls though (don't recall if the Santa is).

Thank you!

Bronwen likes this.
  4. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I'm unsure what Country she represents, but perhaps Hungary?

You might find marks on the back of their heads, or labels on their clothing.

Santa could be a hard vinyl to represent bisque.

The first doll I suspect is vinyl.

Material really doesn't matter in any of these dolls as far as value is concerned.

Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The costume doll is mid-century. She is not German.
    There is not much authentic detail in the costume. I know similar dolls from Italy, but the costume doesn't look Italian. My guess is a Croatian costume on a doll which could have been made in Italy. In those days Croatia was part of Yugoslavia, so they were neighbours.

Christmasjoy, Bronwen and judy like this.
  6. Vintinella

Vintinella Member

Thank you for the reply and baby wishes :)

Yup, also noticed it's not from Germany, but I'm almost 100% sure it's not from Croatia also (I'm Croatian by origin) :D

My first thoughts were maybe Czech Rep., Hungary, Bulgaria..so something more eastern than Croatia.

hm...

7. Vintinella

Vintinella Member

crtoat.jpg This would be more of a Croatian style - simplistic in details, fewer colours (red dominant)

8. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Lovely Croatian costuming.

I think you're going to have to search dolls from possible Countries. I did a couple of searches, but did not find a match.

9. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

That first one is hilarious! Reminds me of Roseanne!

10. Vintinella

Vintinella Member

hahahah yes, actually when you say that :D

It's interesting and disturbing at the same time :D (not referring to Roseanne) ..also don't have an idea how I would describe the doll in Google to find some similar ones :D

judy and Bronwen like this.
  11. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

I just tried. To borrow from Orphan Annie, "Leapin' lizards!" What horrors are dreamed!

12. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

With the Croatian costume you picked, I am guessing you are originally from the north, parts of Slavonia have that white and red dominance.
    But I think you are selling your country of origin short, Croatia has an abundance of very different styles. Probably due to its unique shape, which allowed for so many influences.
    With the beaded embroidery on the bodice I was thinking another part of Slavonia.

Czech and Hungarian costumes are generally more doll-like, with shorter, wide skirts.
    Bulgaria has relatively short, straight pleated skirts and rectangular thickly woven aprons.
    It could be Polish, but the thing is, there is just not enough correct detail to go by. So I was going for a region not too far from Italy, where the doll itself could have been made, and a region with bead embroidery. So I thought parts of Slavonia, Croatia, which has such a wealth of costumes, including some with beautiful thickly embroidered and beaded bodices and shawls.

These are also Croatian, the first two are Slavonian too, but from another part from the one you showed:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  13. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

The doll with the pail, and the Santa, are both recent dolls made in China. I would suspect the one in the first photo was also made in China.

As to the costume doll, she could have been made there also, or in another country, which would account for the costume not being entirely authentic, and therefore making it difficult to determine exactly what region she is supposed to be representing.

Figtree3, judy, Bronwen and 1 other person like this.
  14. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

I looked at that first one for too long and now I'm dead inside.

:hilarious:

Any Jewelry, Vintinella and Taupou like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted