Westmoreland, American Hobnail, Milk Glass... but what the heck is it?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by justjeff, Sep 27, 2017.

1. justjeff

justjeff Active Member

So this is driving me a little crazy. I'm about 100% certain this is Westmoreland (has the WG interlocked on the bottom) and that it's from the American Hobnail pattern. Problem is I can't find this specific piece. It has a shape somewhat similar to the compote except it's more shallow. Replacements.com didn't have the piece and a Google image search using the best descriptors possible brought up nothing. Any ideas? It's about 4.75" tall and 8" across the top.

20170927_223356_red.jpg 20170927_223337_red.jpg

2. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

This shape is often called a Compote or Comport.
    OOPPS ! I see you knew that. My bad!

justjeff likes this.
  3. justjeff

justjeff Active Member

Not a problem and I appreciate the reply. Replacements has the compote as 6" high and this is the image of it. Not the same thing, right?

[​IMG]

judy likes this.
  4. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

Looks like a tazza.
    Patd

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

At least a Razza M'Tazza !!! :happy:

judy likes this.
  6. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

WG used this same form in other pattern lines. "R" has the form listed as 'open honey dish' and chataboutdg has a catalog image of this form as 'honey'. So, open compote or honey compote would be correct.

justjeff, komokwa and judy like this.
  7. justjeff

justjeff Active Member

Thanks TallCakes, I think I see the piece you are talking about. Also saw a "sweet meat" in their pattern gallery that matched the shape and depth of this dish. I really wanted to find the exact piece but it looks like I'm going to have to let it go and take the advice of people with more experience :). Thanks everyone who helped out!

Draft saved Draft deleted