Featured What age are these bronze dipped baby booties?

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Elen Beattie, Feb 19, 2021.

1. Elen Beattie

Elen Beattie Well-Known Member

I was wondering if you could help me figure out what age these bronze dipped baby boots are by style and colour? One of the boots is in bad shape but you can see that the leather is either white or pale blue. I know they're not very old but it would be interesting to know if they are eg 1950s vs 1980s for example. Any help much appreciated! image0 (41).jpeg

Rayo56, KSW and antidiem like this.
  2. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Are those actual real baby boots?:confused:

Aquitaine likes this.
  3. Elen Beattie

They are! I didn't know it was an actual thing that people did until I googled it, and it is :jawdrop:

Aquitaine and KSW like this.
  4. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Omg, you learn something new every day. I’m truly amazed.
    Where did you find them?

judy likes this.
  5. Elen Beattie

Thrift store! It's where I find all my goodies, and not-so-goodies sometimes :smuggrin:

KSW and judy like this.
  6. janettekay

janettekay Well-Known Member

I have one shoe..like that...I pretty sure it is mine. There is a hole on the base for another...maybe they lost one...or it was my sisters....

KSW and Elen Beattie like this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Baby shoe styles didn't change much. Those could well be 1950s. But fad didn't go on much longer than that.

Debora

pearlsnblume, KSW and judy like this.
  8. Elen Beattie

Thanks @Debora! I have no idea why one is in such bad shape and the other not. An interesting (and odd) bit of social history. I hear it's making a comeback :bucktooth:

pearlsnblume, KSW and judy like this.
  9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Oh, dear. Wasn't the kind of thing found in the -- how shall one say? -- the most sophisticated of homes.

Debora

pearlsnblume, KSW, judy and 2 others like this.
  10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

not really..........Mom bronzed my pair....from the late 50's...they look like those..........
    now....where's they get to????

judy, patd8643 and Rayo56 like this.
  11. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Hopefully TALOS doesn't want them back..........LOL!!

[​IMG]

Figtree3, KSW, judy and 1 other person like this.
  12. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

My son was born in 1981 & I bronzed his baby shoes.

13. Elen Beattie

I'm in Canada too so...:shame:

pearlsnblume and judy like this.
  14. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

I have my bronzed baby shoes from 80+ years ago. Mom said at the time you sent them to a company that bronzed them but I think I saw in the 50s-60s that you could buy kits to do it. Mine are still in impeccable condition!

15. Elen Beattie

Interesting! I bet these ones were a home kit.

pearlsnblume and judy like this.
  16. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

17. Elen Beattie

Yes you can, I saw that. I was just curious if the style of the booties I have could be determined to establish a rough age.

KSW and judy like this.
  18. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I just pulled out the pair of bronzed baby shoes that were my grandfather's. They have buttons down the side that you would use a shoe buttoner to close.

I don't like them much but not allowed to get rid of them. Every family has the one person who seems to be responsible for all the stuff no one else wants, but no one wants to throw away. That's me.

Here in Columbus, Ohio we had a fairly famous bronzing company. They started in 1934 as the Bronze Baby Shoe Co. and when they closed in 2018 they were known as Bron-Shoe. They claimed to have bronzed over 14 million items. I called them once to find out the cost to re-plate (they did silver too) a really cool old silver plate piece, but it was way more expensive than the item was worth. Once I found at an auction, an antique silver plate napkin ring that the owner had chromed there. Guess they didn't like to polish silver.

The OP's shoes look pretty old. I'm trying to think what era it was that baby shoes were "pinked" on the edges (like with pinking shears). Wasn't that the 40s / 50s?

19. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I am going to bronze my Uggs. :p:p:p:p

20. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted