Featured WHAT AGE IS ANTIQUE DRESS? ANY INFO APPRECIATED!

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by journeymagazine, Dec 20, 2019.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this is a plastic bag inside a suitcase full of new, higher end clothes in a storage unit won in a auction.
    It looks like silk & lace? Plus a ribbon on the back & old fashioned hooks.
    Any idea of age?
    Is this collectible/worth selling on eBay - or just toss it/donate it?
    I think it has to be old because it's as ugly a dress as I've ever seen - it has to be from a different period!
    Thanks for any info.

CLOTHES DRESS ANTIQUE 1AA.JPG CLOTHES DRESS ANTIQUE 1AAA.JPG CLOTHES DRESS ANTIQUE 1AAAA.JPG CLOTHES DRESS ANTIQUE 2AA.JPG CLOTHES DRESS ANTIQUE 2AAA.JPG CLOTHES DRESS ANTIQUE 3AA.JPG CLOTHES DRESS ANTIQUE 3AAA.JPG CLOTHES DRESS ANTIQUE 4AA.JPG CLOTHES DRESS ANTIQUE 5AA.JPG

2. necollectors

necollectors Well-Known Member

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I agree. And it is probably not all that ugly when worn.:)

4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Agree on time period & may have been wedding dress. (Or bridesmaid's.)

5. journeymagazine

I was thinking about that time too - are they collectible?

pearlsnblume and Bronwen like this.
  6. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Is there much anything that isn't? I have my grandmother's dress from that same decade, probably in sad condition from having spent years in her cedar ('hope') chest. I would think there might be some market for them as theatrical costumes as well.

7. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

;)
    Now, now, Journey Magazine, you can 'fess up that you say that only because it doesn't fit you. :rolleyes:

8. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same thing. Particularly since it is hand made and not store bought.
    I don't know about age. I would have thought more 50s. Fashion isn't my area - so really don't know.

Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I'm going to disagree with the 20s-30s date. The dress is Edwardian. (High waist, tiered-skirt, no zipper.) It appears to be in excellent condition. Suspect it will be of value to someone, if only for the trim.

Debora

10. journeymagazine

Thanks all
    yourturntoloveit - never thought about it fitting me; there is no sugar in my tank! (ie: not a dress guy!)

11. journeymagazine

Could I say 'Turn of the century' dress?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  12. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

My basement is chock-full of "collectible" antique/vintage clothes. I can't be the only one! :shame:

I, too, think Edwardian. (Though without actually having it in hand, I hesitate to offer a definitive answer.)

13. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I just glanced through the eBay listings for vintage Edwardian dresses. Bit of a mess but sales seem to be healthy. "Turn of the century" language a bit vague and not meaningful to a collector. "Edwardian" is correct but in description you can specify "Late Teens" as style appears to be heading into the 1920s.

I don't know key words but color unusual and may matter. (Pink? Coral?) Condition certainly does. (Mint?) And perhaps something about "rose-motif net lacework overskirt?" Rough measurements (waist, length) although 'spect these pieces are used for study. Mention hook and eye closure. Disclose fabric or your best guess as to what it is. (Satin?)

If it were mine, I'd probably list for $125 as auction.

Others sure to have important viewpoints to add.

Debora

lloyd249 and bluumz like this.
  14. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Ma Kettle's Sunday best

aaroncab likes this.
  15. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It does have a certain unsophisticated quality to it.

Debora

16. journeymagazine

Thanks Debora
    blooey - my 1st thought was the Beverly Hillbillies too!

17. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

yourturntoloveit and Bakersgma like this.
  18. journeymagazine

I know - Beverly Hillbillies (and cousin Ellie May!) was my first thought

19. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Can we tag anyone who knows lace? It may seal the deal on the dating to ID the lace on this sweet dress :)

Christmasjoy likes this.
  20. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That's a good point. The lace may be of interest to someone just on its own.

Debora

Christmasjoy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted