Featured What are on these men's legs?

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Eric Haefli, Dec 27, 2020.

1. Eric Haefli

Eric Haefli Active Member

1900 (00) 04a - Unknown Location Manson IA Morton IL or Benson IL.jpg 1900 (00) 04 - Unknown Location Manson IA Morton IL or Benson IL.jpg This photo was likely taken in Central Illinois around 1900. I was wondering what these men have on their legs ... some kind of bracing.

2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I think possibly spikes for climbing telegraph poles or even trees.

Gus Tuason, Aquitaine, Fid and 10 others like this.
  3. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Polio leg braces?

Bronwen likes this.
  4. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

5. Eric Haefli

Great detective work!!!! Your evidence is very convincing. I think there are 2 or 3 other guys with the strap at their belt. I believe you and "moreotherstuff" are correct. They are telegraph or telephone line workers. Thank you to everyone who responded. Not knowing was driving me nuts. :)

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Those are more likely electricity poles. They may well have installed them and the strands of bulbs hanging from them. Certainly cause for celebration.

Debora

aaroncab, kyratango, Joe2007 and 4 others like this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Post 1893 given the Pabst's Blue Ribbon name. It originally was a regional beer so one would suspect photo taken -- if you don't already know location -- in the upper-ish mid-West.

Debora

Joe2007, i need help and Bronwen like this.
  8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The fellow in center is wearing a jacket stencilled with the word "Post" among others.

Debora

kyratango, i need help and Bronwen like this.
  9. Eric Haefli

Yeah. I wish I could read the words on the vest. He is right in the middle of the picture, so I thought that might be important. The photo possibly could be taken in Minonk, IL or Morton, IL or Benson, IL or Peoria, IL. Those are where my ancestors lived at one point in time.

Bronwen likes this.
  10. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Right before they came down for that picture......... LOL!!

[​IMG]

11. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Also says P.S.Co. on that jacket, which is likely Public Service Company. There were many such.

Fid, Darkwing Manor, Joe2007 and 3 others like this.
  12. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Looking at the large U. S. flag in the top center, I would say this photo had to be from 1912 or later. The first two columns of stars are lined up with each other horizontally and they are vertically straight. The flag that was valid from 1912-1959 had that configuration. Otherwise, the last previous one that had it was in the 1840s, obviously too early for this picture!
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_the_United_States#Historical_progression_of_designs

By the way, is this photo mounted on a card, or is it printed on photo paper without being mounted? Or is it a real photo postcard? Or in a folder? Just curious, but seeing its full presentation might help in dating it.

13. Eric Haefli

I scanned the photo a few years ago. It was from a collection of photos from my grandfather's family. I cannot remember if it was a photo or a real photo postcard. I still have the photo somewhere in a box, but it would be very difficult to find quickly.

Thank you for noticing the flag. I did not think of that. I will look at my scanned image closer. I want to date my photo as close as possible. The digital image was 6MB and I had to resize it to below 1MB to put it in the tread. I might be able to more closely review the flag to know.

Bronwen and Figtree3 like this.
  14. Eric Haefli

I looked at my scanned photo. In the large flag near the center, there are six rows of stars and the stars are in a straight line vertically. In looking at the Wikipedia site you linked, that would be the 1912 - 1959 flag. The smaller flags appear to be earlier because the stars are not in a straight line vertically. Therer are such good detectives/researchers on this website! Thank you.

Bronwen and Figtree3 like this.
  15. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

You're welcome. It's fun!

Bronwen likes this.
  16. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Street unpaved. No automobiles in sight.

Debora

Figtree3 likes this.
  17. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

You might want to check this out:

"At the time Thomas A. Edison had made two electric generators and, being a good friend of Miner T. Ames, gave him one of them so that he could have electric lights at the mine. When the big store at the mine was destroyed by fire a new store was established up town at the corner of Chestnut and Seventh streets. In order that the store could have electric lights instead of coal lamps, they strung a pair of wires which gave Minonk the first electrically lighted street in the world."

https://www.minonktalk.com/township.htm

Debora

Last edited: Dec 27, 2020
    i need help likes this.
  18. Eric Haefli

Holy cow!! Do you think this could be that stringing of the electric lights? I am going to reach out to Minonk and show them this photo.

19. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

01A9EB77-67DF-41E3-8382-843742EF0EF8.jpeg 67B938AF-AD3F-46EC-ABC4-3A1EE805621A.jpeg
    Do you think the man in the suit is he?

moreotherstuff likes this.
  20. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Same chin.

Debora

i need help likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted