What are some tips to correctly id modern vs antique metal furniture hardware?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by UserUnknown, Aug 2, 2015.

1. UserUnknown

UserUnknown Active Member

I just don't know the proper way to date the metal hardware on furniture and have found that there are several companies currently that manufacture pieces that are new for replacements. Can anyone recommend any sites that might help me? Thanks.

KingofThings likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

this is the best one i know of....and that's not saying much......
    about me ! :wacky:

KingofThings likes this.
  3. UserUnknown

4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I think you need to familiarize yourself with different styles of furniture and note what was used on each particular style. What materials were used.
    Frequent antique stores and museums, check out the materials used and ask questions.
    If you really want to get into it, look at the differences in how screws and nails were and are made.

Look at what is being offered today as replacements. Materials being used.

Just as a general thought. Really old hardware will have been hand made. Craftsmen of old took pride in what they made. Details were there. Today it is mass produced and time is not spent in the finishing details. The exception being very high end furniture.

I'm not sure if this is the kind of answer you are looking for or if you have something more specific you are after.

KingofThings and afantiques like this.
  5. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Really, the proof is in the pudding. You need to spend a lot of time looking at such things to know. I can usually spot newer hardware off the bat. Older stuff might take a second look.

KingofThings likes this.
  6. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

If it attached to furniture look inside for evidence of old screw holes, replaced hardware rarely fits the old fixing holes.

7. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

This place is amazing for many things so their site may help you somewhat for info.
    ~
    To all, if you didn't know of it...you do now! :) >
    ~
    http://www.vintagehardware.com/vint...41&keyword=all-cabinet-and-furniture-hardware

Tina and yourturntoloveit like this.
  8. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

My husband is a locksmith and a lot of people come to us for keys for antique chests, boxes, clocks etc. They also ask about antique hardware. Generally, there are businesses in most areas that salvage architectural materials and they have old hardware. Places like Renovators sell reproduction hardware if you can't find original pieces. Look in your phone book or online for salvage businesses and see what you can find. They don't usually have online catalogs because their inventory turns over so fast. I buy antique keys at flea markets and yard sales all the time.

KingofThings likes this.
  9. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I realized I didn't really answer your question. As others stated, experience is the best teacher. If you have any REAL antique stores near you, go and spend time looking at their stock. Once you've seen real antiques and compare them to reproductions, you can start to identify differences. A lot of newbies get fooled by poor quality. They assume that older pieces are more primitive. The opposite is true. Quality was very important back then. People didn't have a lot of money and when they bought an item, they expected it to last. The newer reproductions are sometimes made from molds which were made from older pieces. The lines are 'softer' and there isn't as much detail as there would be in the originals. That's just one generalization, but it's good to remember. Look for seams and mold marks. If the seams are rough, chances are it's new. On the originals, they would have buffed out the rough spots. Craftsmen took more care than modern factories.

10. UserUnknown

Thank you everyone for your replies. A bit more info on my part may have been helpful... antique is such a general term. :oops: Going to blame it on lack of sleep. ;) Generally I am drawn to "newer" antiques of the 19th century as well as early twentieth, beautiful and affordable. Victorian furniture was, as I understand, being mass produced with the industrial revolution. Times they were a changing. From browsing antique stores, museums (most the time you can't get close enough to properly inspect), books, online, etc., I feel that I can place items to this era, but would like to gain more definitive knowledge on the subject and would like to broaden my knowledge base as well. I know very little regarding furniture and would like to learn more. And, as Bev mentioned above
    . Although great for some purposes, it complicates the proper ID for the inexperienced as myself. Knowledge is wonderful. However, too little or too much can be a dangerous thing. :cat:

KingofThings likes this.
  11. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Auctions are better than museums as you can really get a good look at stuff, pull out drawers, peer underneat, whatever you wish.

UserUnknown and KingofThings like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted