WHAT ARE THESE 3 DIPLOMAS? CERTIFICATES? FROM SPAIN

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by journeymagazine, Dec 27, 2018.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I bought these from a friend who owns a used furniture store/thrift store for $25 for the 3.
    I know they are from Spain but that's it! What are they?
    I see King Franco and on another Carlos?
    I googled Spain diploma - but all that popped up was "Fake Diplomas from Spain" for $400!! lol
    I appreciate any help.

DIPLOMA LARGE 1st  1A.JPG DIPLOMA LARGE 1st  2A.JPG DIPLOMA LARGE 1st  2AA.JPG DIPLOMA LARGE 1st ONE 1A.JPG DIPLOMA LARGE 1st ONE 2A_aa.JPG DIPLOMA LARGE 1st ONE 2AA.JPG DIPLOMA SMALL 1A.JPG DIPLOMA SMALL 2A.JPG DIPLOMA SMALL 3A.JPG

Christmasjoy and scoutshouse like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Franco was never King of Spain, although he sure ran the country like he thought he was. :rolleyes: Generalismo Francisco Franco was a 20th century dictator. I'm not really sure what those documents are about. But they're dated in 1975.

Juan Carlos I really was King of Spain after the monarchy was restored. That document seems to be appointing an Ambassador or Consul from Spain to Switzerland in 1976.

The same person is involved all the documents neither of which is a diploma.

3. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

4. Bakersgma

So the Franco ones are honoring people by appointing them to the "The Order of Isabella The Catholic" (like Queen Elizabeth II in England honoring people by appointing them to The Order of the Garter? or knighthood?) - there must be different levels of the honor. Caballero and Comendador?

Why would people think these are "diplomas?"

And here's Franco's Wiki page - before he died in 1975 he ordered the monarchy restored upon his death, so Juan Carlos became King then.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francisco_Franco

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

They're not diplomas. They have to do with a Spanish diplomat Patricio Aguirre de Cárcer y Alvarado who died in 2002. Here's his death notice in ABC, Spain's conservative newspaper.

http://hemeroteca.abc.es/nav/Navigate.exe/hemeroteca/madrid/abc/2002/10/10/067.html

Apparently, he was awarded two orders by Franco, both at the grade of Comendador.

Orden de Isabel la Católica (1965)
    https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orden_de_Isabel_la_Católica

Orden del Mérito Civil (1969)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_Civil_Merit

In 1976 (in his first 6 months on the throne,) Juan Carlos I named him as Spanish Consul in Berne, Switzerland and issued a document authorizing him as such and requesting that the President of the Swiss Confederation recognize him as such.

Debora

6. journeymagazine

Thanks all!
    So is that Franco's signature on 1st one? It looks like both names start with what could be a fancy F?

Christmasjoy and scoutshouse like this.
  7. scoutshouse

It's a certificate or award. A diploma would be awarded to someone who had completed a course of study.

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  8. journeymagazine

Just looked at order of Isabella - mine has a stamp & signature on back too - I will photograph & post tomorrow.
    Thanks again all - Happy Holidays!! :)

9. Bakersgma

Just my opinion, but it looks like both Franco signatures are identical and likely to have been stamped instead of actually signed.

10. scoutshouse

"General Francisco Franco is Still Dead" was a running joke on SNL and Lampoon in the 70s

11. Bakersgma

:hilarious: I was going to ask if anyone else remembered that one!

12. scoutshouse

The order's current regulations date from 1998 as approved by Royal Decree 2395/1998, of 6 November. Among its provisions, the categories of Banda de Dama, Cruz de Caballero and Lazo de Dama were repealed to avoid possible interpretations of there being gender discrimination. Notwithstanding this, for aesthetic and functional reasons, the ladies who are decorated use reduced versions of the insignia of each degree of the Order.

Would an "order" be passed down to descendants? My question answered:

A royal family order is a decoration conferred by the head of a royal family to their female relations. Such an order is considered more of a personal memento than a state decoration, although it may be worn during official state occasions.

13. scoutshouse

Good to know

How to describe the how much fun the National Lampoon was. I still have the "Yearbook" a CLASSIC!!!!!

14. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I suspect all signatures are stamped; these documents would have been issued in multiples.

Debora

15. scoutshouse

You had to be there, just no way to convey - right down to the end of school year autographs. Perfection: full PDF

Screenshot 2018-12-27 18.44.23.png

16. scoutshouse

Collectors will know which are auto signed - there's nothing right or wrong with a machine generated signature.

When is an Autograph Not an Autograph?
    [​IMG]

Thomas Jefferson's autograph machine.

17. scoutshouse

18. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

19. scoutshouse

I cannot believe you can search a pdf for these characters by name in a publication from the 70s...

Christmasjoy likes this.
  20. Bakersgma

Talk about a coinkydink! A program I'm watching tonight (a dramatized account of spies during the Revolutionary Way) had one of these in the spymaster's workshop!

scoutshouse and Christmasjoy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted