Featured What are these?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by WEM, Jan 8, 2017.

1. WEM

WEM New Member

Desk resize 2.jpg Desk resize 1.jpg Hi there,
    I've got old family stuff I'll be posting to see what they are and ask for suggestions as to what to do. This one's two views of the same desk. Many thanks!

cxgirl, lauragarnet and KingofThings like this.
  2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Welcome!
    Looks like it might be missing some embellishments at each end.
    Please shoot some details such as drawer corners and any manufacturer's markings and the back too.
    What do you want to do? Use it? Sell it?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
    cxgirl and lauragarnet like this.
  3. lauragarnet

lauragarnet Well-Known Member

What a multitude of cubby holes!

KingofThings and cxgirl like this.
  4. KingofThings

I think it's for plans and is a draftsman or architect's desk.

lauragarnet likes this.
  5. lauragarnet

lauragarnet Well-Known Member

That makes sense King.

KingofThings likes this.
  6. KingofThings

:)
    I could even be for a wallpaper designer but that might be too deep for masters though the drawers shorten it up.

lauragarnet likes this.
  7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Mid-Victorian, looks like. It also looks like it's begging for a good cleaning and a lot of coats of tung oil.

lauragarnet and KingofThings like this.
  8. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

If you are going to be asking lots of questions, you can help yourself by giving some idea of what the item is in the title - furniture, glass, picture, ceramic, etc.. It will help to get the right people looking.

Sadly, I am not a furniture person. Looks like someone quit halfway through a refinishing job.

lauragarnet, WEM and KingofThings like this.
  9. evelyb30

My general term for items like this is Mess-With-Mes. You can't make them any worse, so sometimes it's worth trying it and seeing what you can make them look like.

KingofThings and lauragarnet like this.
  10. WEM

WEM New Member

Hi everyone. Thanks for posting. I think its clerical? The piece has been stripped
    and in storage some elements have fallen off and there is some delamination.
    I do want to sell it. The drawers are dovetailed. Here in New Orleans there are several architectural decorative wood salvage concerns-there are a lot of auction houses too. Trying to figure out which way to go? Thanks again!

11. evelyb30

The salvage guys would come get it, but they won't pay a lot. Auctions will charge to come get it and you may not sell for any more. It's one of those things that's great .... if you have the room for it. Once fixed up it would be great in a retail setting. I'd try the salage guys first and see what they say.

12. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Large office or library desk but have no idea what the cubbies are for. Has good age to it. Maybe 1870s.

13. marthahill

marthahill Active Member

https://www.canonburyantiques.com/kbd/Antique-Desks---Guide/

Scroll down an read about partners desks !! Yours is Jacobean revival from about 1920`s or so from what I can see !! Originally from England designed so two people could use the same desk !! Can have a variety of designs according to what was needed !!

14. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

a partners desk was the same on both sides.

15. marthahill

marthahill Active Member

Not necessarily !! Were designed according to what was needed !! Partners desk was a very loose term,, just meant two people !! The English were very conservative that way !!

16. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Look at the hand-cut dovetails on those drawers. This is not from the 1920s.

KingofThings likes this.
  17. marthahill

marthahill Active Member

In the UK which is where I suspect this desk is from,,they used hand cut dovetails well into the 30`s!! Most in the industry there resisted mechanization in their trade !!
    Back in the 1970`s and 80`s buyers bought antique furniture by the tons from the UK and shipped it to the US !! All for pennies on the dollar !! From New Orleans up the East Coast dealers bought the furniture and re-sold it !! It is difficult for someone not familiar with construction details and style in the UK to tell what is American and what is not !! Keep in mind we are looking at pics which are not the best !! Dates are only given based on what I can see,,Might change my mind with better pics !!

KingofThings likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted