Featured What can you tell me about my watch?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Pat P, Jan 25, 2016.

1. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

I'd appreciate some thoughts about this watch. The little symbol kind of looks like a duck, and I think the mark inside the case says 14k but it's not clear.

Since the watch is on the small side and has flower decorations, is it a woman's watch? If so, it probably belonged to my grandmother or great aunt.

I don't know how to open it up to see the works... it would be great if someone could tell me how to do it without damaging anything.

Thanks!

watch-a.jpg

Attached Files:

lauragarnet, komokwa and KingofThings like this.
  2. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Yes, it's a ladies fob watch from about 1900 or maybe a decade earlier.
    It is a Swiss made and cased example, almost certainly with a cylinder movement, stem wound and pin set.
    The case is lightly made and quite possibly the inner cover is base metal, marked 'metal' or 'cuivre'. The gold weight would only be about 10 grams.

THe inner back opens in the same way as the outer back.

3. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Pat P, that is a beautiful watch.

Pat P and KingofThings like this.
  4. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Thanks, Af and Yourturn.

My grandmother was born in 1884 and my great aunt in 1877, so those dates fit. Or, perhaps, it belonged to one of my great grandmother's originally. I wish my mother had left notes with these types of things.

Is anyone familiar with the mark? I said duck in my first post, but it might be a chicken?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Some type of bird >>>???
    The workmanship is lovely !!

So...Pat...do you keep notes with all your stuff ?? ;)

KingofThings and Pat P like this.
  6. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Isn't it lovely? I really like it. I have to look more closely with under a loupe... took the photos quite a while ago and don't remember much.

LOL, Komo! Nope, I don't. But we don't have kids and I'm hoping to actually sell off most of our things ourselves. It's going very, very slowly, though. :rolleyes:

KingofThings likes this.
  7. komokwa

Slow & steady wins the race.......good luck !

8. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Thanks! :)

KingofThings likes this.
  9. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

What are the appropriate terms for the decorative work on the face and the case?

KingofThings likes this.
  10. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

What you have here is a lovely ladies' 14kt gold pocketwatch, from about 1890-1910.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the case has been both engine-turned and chased...?

The cuvette (dust cover) will open exactly the same way as the caseback. Use a flathead screwdriver or other similar object (knife-blade, etc) to find the pry-point in the case - insert the blade and pop the case open. Sometimes you can just use your fingernail, but I'm not sure how easy that'll be on a watch of this size.

11. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Thanks, Shangas. I'll look up the terms you suggested and will try to open it up.

KingofThings likes this.
  12. komokwa

I think there's some engraving going on there also...

13. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Could be. Repousse is another term that comes to mind, but I honestly don't know what's what with terminology for decorated metal. I just know what I like. :)

14. komokwa

Repousse would be hammering from the backside !

15. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Komo,
    Oh no, you did not say that.:eek:
    greg

16. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Komo, I know that, but I don't know how to tell the difference in the finished product.

KingofThings likes this.
  17. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

Chasing is engraving a flat surface to bring extra detail to decorations.

Repousse is hammering decorations into the metal from inside to out.

I'd say this is chasing.

18. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Chasing is not engraving.... engraving removes metal,chasing moves/compresses metal.The back of the case looks die struck,the die was engraved.

19. komokwa

You have to study the other side of the cover to see the work that went on there...& while it's not a mirror image ...the reverse ...( Not backside.....Happy Greg ?? ) ...will show a reverse image of the front.

This bracelet shows engraving....& chasing ( the punched dots on either side of the eye) , but the reverse is clean and flat....

hgreen3.jpg hgreen1.jpg hgreen2.jpg

This one shows Repousse ...in the center ...clearly seen on the reverse ....in reverse...

RSsisuitl31988-lunds475$.jpg RSsisiutl2.jpg

20. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Adopting? ;)

Pat P and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted