What can you tell me about this here lamp? For sale locally and looks interesting. Limited pics

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by J Dagger, Feb 3, 2020.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Unfortunately this is all I have to go on. They look kind of like lily leaves to me. I feel like I’ve seen a similar design before. They want quite a bit for the lamp but have included no description. I assume they think it’s pretty special based on price. Not that that means it is... 85A1C375-20D5-4022-BA52-E7DA9C225830.jpeg 86DA6350-E503-4740-93FC-B71FEEE064C9.jpeg

anundverkaufen and KSW like this.
  2. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Art Nouveau-inspired piece, J. Tough to say what era it is based on these photos. That shade does not belong on this lamp. A proper shade would be glass or slag glass.

3. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

do they say where they got it from, what origin etc. ? I think you can safely tell the price here, nobody of us will be crazy about it. and as it's local...

KSW, J Dagger, sabre123 and 1 other person like this.
  4. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

8D207055-4027-4D10-8236-8B47586D7DC2.jpeg Wondering what’s under the shade? Maybe an iris.

SBSVC, anundverkaufen, KSW and 2 others like this.
  5. J Dagger

Title of post: Antique Lamp
    Item description:_______

When I said I have nothing else to go on I meant it!

Edit: I’ve asked for more photos and info if available.

Ghopper1924, KSW and i need help like this.
  6. J Dagger

That’s pretty! You would think if they wanted to sell it they might include the best looking part :)

7. J Dagger

The more I think about the more I think the leaf design is maybe reminiscent of a Kayserzinn piece I’ve seen. That matches your AN reference well.

8. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

not Kayserzinn. I looked through the book by Engelbert Kayser. color is wrong as well and Kayserzinn is one of the few brands I handled that always had the mark and sometimes an additional small plate soldered with VERSILBERT when they were silverplated by Kayserzinn themselves.
    there is the slight possibility that it may be by Kayser; although out of the same family they worked in separated places. they marked with an eagle and worked also in other metals than pewter. but not seen one sole item unmarked.

sabre123 and J Dagger like this.
  9. J Dagger

I was not at all suggesting this was made by Kayserzinn. I had been trying to think of where I had seen a design with similar leaves. I believe it was on a Kayserzinn piece(s).

edit: thanks very much for taking time to look either way!!!

10. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

there were one or two vases with similar leaves.

J Dagger likes this.
  11. J Dagger

I think a plate as well if I’m not mistaken. I actually may own it. I’ll have to dig them out sometime soon. Obviously not vertical though which wouldn’t resemble the lamp as much. Seller hasn’t replied to my inquiry still.

12. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

I sold my 50 pieces of Kayserzinn last year. pewter is falling faster than ceramics it seems. kept some 10 Orivit, a few Osiris, Gerhardi and Orion. kicked out Urania and most Juventa Prima metal.

changed to bronzes and more English copper.

4017vase2 (487x1024).jpg

13. J Dagger

Beautiful vase! That’s definitely the design I was thinking about. Thanks!

I like the Kayserzinn stuff. I bought a plate once before I knew anything about them and gave it to my mom. Then I learned a little about them. I came upon a massive hoard of pewter at a thrift store last spring. A strong collection with lots on Zinn, a bunch of ice cream/chocolate molds, and some old stuff I haven’t figured out yet. They wanted like $300 for the bin. I waited until they broke it up and bought a bunch of pieces for $10-$30 each. I probably should have just gotten the whole thing I would have done better. I think I still did ok overall. That said they are definitely taking a while to sell and not at all for the prices I hoped. Going in I knew pewter was not strong but thought the Zinn would sell better than it has thus far. With the amount I find at thrift stores it must be hard to even give the sheer age stuff away. Good lesson for me. The silver lining is I really like the Jugendstil pieces and won’t mind keeping them if needed.
    It looks like maybe the market for the really old stuff is a little better? Would you say that’s the case?

The ones you sold were part of your personal collection or more for resale? Just curious did you stop liking them? Or just decide to put your money into something you liked as much or more that had a higher upside?

14. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

I started collecting Kayserzinn about 30 years ago; but my taste started to change and it got boring to me. I still have pewter stuff by known artists like Gurschner, Albert Reimann, Albin Müller etc.
    I don't understand the difference you're making between Zinn and pewter ? in German there is no difference between the element tin/ Zinn and the alloy pewter.
    as a rule of thumb though - if something is marked Zinn - or even worse with the additional % - then it's 99,99 % sure that it's not old.

Draft saved Draft deleted