Featured What can you tell me about this reclining figure? I hope I am wrong. :-)

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by bercrystal, Aug 15, 2021.

1. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

This piece was on the table lot with the Chinese metal dish I bought a couple of weeks ago at the auction. I have my suspicions but am hoping I am wrong.

It is 6 5/8" long & is 4 1/2" to the top of the hair? when on the stand which appears to be custom made for this piece. It is solid & surprisingly weighs a little over a pound with the stand.

Also if anyone who this may represent that would be wonderful. @Any Jewelry ;):playful::D :kiss:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thanks for any & all advice or opinions!! :happy::happy: :kiss::kiss:

2. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

My first thought is Kwan Yin, but I do not know what she is holding. In my searches I have not seen her holding that.

(bercrystal, I bet you are thinking it's a opium pipe)

Last edited: Aug 15, 2021
    NewEngland, judy, i need help and 3 others like this.
  3. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

You're concerned about the material it's made from, right? It looks a bit like wood in the pictures... but I'm probably missing something.

It's quite pretty.

NewEngland, judy, i need help and 2 others like this.
  4. bercrystal

I will check out that name to see what I can find. I actually didn't notice that she was holding something until I was editing the photos. I was just trying to show the detail of the piece. :rolleyes::rolleyes::bag::shame::sorry: :hilarious::hilarious:

Yes, it is the material I am concerned about but I don't think it is wood. It feels cool when put next to my cheek but since I went way outside my comfort zone on this table lot I think I am going to have to ask for help on just about everything I got that night. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: :bag::facepalm:

judy, kyratango, i need help and 3 others like this.
  5. bercrystal

@Roaring20s - Thanks again for the tip on the identity of this figure. I agree it does look like Kwan Yin & I actually did find a couple of pieces that involved serpents.

NewEngland, judy, i need help and 2 others like this.
  6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I agree with Kwan Yin and the material she's made from. She'll have to be sold locally, or would have to be here.

bercrystal, NewEngland, judy and 2 others like this.
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

sure looks like a lovely piece of stained ivory..;)

bercrystal, NewEngland, judy and 4 others like this.
  8. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

She's holding a Ruyi septre.

9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Beautiful, Peggy.:) Perfect, tranquil face, and perfectly elegant too.
    Yes, it is a reclining Guanyin (older spelling Kwan Yin), holding a ruyi scepter. A ruyi scepter grants wishes, so it is a useful thing to have.;)
    The serpent looking things are actually flowing (and floating) silk ribbons, a sign of a heavenly being.
    The material looks like stained ivory, and I suspect it may not be of the right age.:sorry: Could we see the bottom of the wooden stand?

Ruyi scepter:

[​IMG]
    https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/40703

Bronwen, Boland, Roaring20s and 7 others like this.
  10. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

11. bercrystal

I was fairly certain it was ivory but again this is way out of my comfort zone so I wanted to be sure.

Here is a photo of the bottom of the stand. @Any Jewelry

[​IMG]

I may just try to sell it to the other bidder on the table. I think he was most interested in it than the other things.

judy, kyratango, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  12. Any Jewelry

Thanks, Peggy. I am not sure it has the right age.
    I just spotted someone knowledgeable on the forum, @Asian Fever , can you help?:)

13. bercrystal

Hopefully, she can maybe read the mark on the bottom. :happy:

This is a photo of the stand. I thought I had posted it last night but I guess I must have missed it. :oops:

[​IMG]

The little white dot that you see here & can be seen on the one with the figure reclining above is strange. I thought it was a nick in the wood. However, on closer inspection, it looks to be a drop of some type of foreign substance - paint - resin??? :confused::wacky::wacky:

14. Any Jewelry

:nailbiting:

Bronwen and bercrystal like this.
  15. bercrystal

16. Asian Fever

Asian Fever Well-Known Member

Marked "Qianlong" :dead::dead::dead:
    However, it looked like made from Resin. Looks nothing old to me. I would like to say it probably a tourist gift. Hopefully, I am wrong.

Boland, judy, Any Jewelry and 3 others like this.
  17. Any Jewelry

Thanks, Asian. I thought I'd take advantage of your presence.;)

bercrystal, i need help and judy like this.
  18. Asian Fever

Asian Fever Well-Known Member

No you didn't. :) And I am glad if you can take advantage of my presence. That's my pleasure.

bercrystal and Any Jewelry like this.
  19. Any Jewelry

Thank you, my friend.:)

bercrystal likes this.
  20. bercrystal

@Asian Fever - I very much appreciate the additional information!!! :happy::happy: :kiss:

Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted