Featured What can you tell me about this RPPC of 2 little girls from Vienna Austria

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by bercrystal, Apr 19, 2020.

1. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I have this RPPC of 2 beautiful little girls that I am assuming was taken in a studio given the backdrop. The stamp was applied to the front of the card. In the spot where the stamp was suppose to be is "made in Austria", but the stamp & the writing is all in French. The writing on the back is quite faded & I will bet it was written with a fountain pen.

It has Bonne Annee on the front which I found out translates to a happy New Year greeting. The company that produced? the card is listed as W R B & Co. Vienne, but there is also a clover mark at the bottom that I could not quite make out.

There is also a series number of, I think, 2803 on the back. If this is a RPPC how can it be part of a series? :confused::confused::confused:

Unfortunately the postmark is mostly missing so I am unsure of the date this photo was sent, but what do you think? I tried searching this particular stamp but I think it is a fairly common one that was in use for a long time. BWDIK :rolleyes::rolleyes:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thanks for any & all advice or opinions!! :happy::happy:

2. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

Hi Peggy. It isn't a RPPC. If it were, it would have it printed somewhere on the back.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  3. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

I read tres peu French, but the impression I get is (LOOSELY) that someone is sending love from boarding school and commenting on the beautiful photo of the girls??
    So, now you can wait for the real french speaking folks to give you the low down.

But they are beautiful girls!

4. Bookahtoo

pearlsnblume and bercrystal like this.
  5. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

I think that particular 5 Centimes Green stamp dates from 1926

6. bercrystal

I thought it was a RPPC because it appears as if the 2 girls were posed in front of a winter backdrop in some studio. :confused::confused: :oops::oops::oops:

So this is actually a French New Year postcard with possibly more like it out there. :):)

Thank you for the dating of the stamp. :kiss::kiss:

pearlsnblume and daveydempsey like this.
  7. Bookahtoo

Peggy - a real photo post card is when they develop the negative right onto the postcard paper/cardboard.

8. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I would guess many were printed. How many survive is a different question. I think the clover mark say SBW Rototaglio, which I take to mean rotogravure. It might be some company specific term.

WRB & Co Vienne SBW Rototaglio returns many different postcard images.

Here's another from the same series (2803), but no additional info:
    [​IMG]

9. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I can't help with the PC, but those little girls are adorable.
    I like yours better than the one with the color tint.

10. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

WHAT a NEAT couple of Positively Adorable Young girls!!!!!:happy::happy::happy::happy: GREAT postcard @bercrystal !!!!

11. bercrystal

I agree. That one looks like a child went at it with magic markers.

12. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

bercrystal likes this.
  13. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

bercrystal likes this.
  14. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The sender wrote:

Voeux affectueux,
    Isabelle

Fond wishes,
    Isabelle

It was sent to someone in the department (administrative region) of Calvados, which is in Normandy, France.

I don't see any mention of a boarding school or of the girls on the card. The message is literally short and sweet.;)

Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
  15. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

I really could not read the writing too well, and I most CERTAINLY provided a disclaimer for my lame translation efforts but the boarding school came from this:
    Screenshot_20200420-095736_Google.jpg

And I read Isabella like T'es belle or something like "you are beautiful" ish...
    Oh well.

bercrystal likes this.
  16. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Does the font of yours say "Bonne Année"? That's French for Happy New Year just as "Fröhliche Weihnachten" is Merry Christmas in German. These things had international distribution and obviously variations were printed to suit a particular market and/or a particular holiday. There are probably versions with the printed message in English.

17. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

There are many many holiday cards of this nature out there. I have quite a few myself, as I was collecting them for a while. They were commercially produced, not like many of the real photo postcards that are out there. However... Many of the ones I have do appear to have been printed with a photographic process (and some were not). So I do think that from a technical aspect they could be considered real photos. But, the phrase "real photo postcard" has taken on a meaning different from just having a photo on a postcard. I believe that is what @Bookahtoo is referring to.

UPDATE: Also, there are what are called "photomechanical" processes that are a combination of photographic and other printing techniques. Many postcards are made with photomechanical techniques, so it can be confusing.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
    bercrystal and clutteredcloset49 like this.
  18. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

the most important is :
    [​IMG]

19. bercrystal

Thank you for all of the additional information!!! :kiss::kiss::kiss:

Any Jewelry and Figtree3 like this.
  20. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I can never think of Calvados without thinking of Calvados.:playful:

kyratango and bercrystal like this.