Featured What decade is this tea set from?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Gatoblanconz, Nov 11, 2023.

1. Gatoblanconz

Gatoblanconz Well-Known Member

Hi I'm interested to know when this set was made
    Unfortunately missing the lids
    IMG_20231112_123513_TLhwKU067y.jpeg IMG_20231112_123519_vixQUa489d.jpeg IMG_20231112_123524_snhPoySp3o.jpeg IMG_20231112_123904_wsjhpUhd4n.jpeg IMG_20231112_123450_x3eQDte76z.jpeg

2. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Fab set!
    I believe these are 1940s, give or take a decade.
    I also don't think that the sugar bowl or creamer ever had lids. And the lid to the teapot is built into the insulator cover.
    What it may be missing is a tealeaf strainer that would have sat inside the teapot, if needed. And I've seen some sets with trays and coffee pots, too, like this:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 11, 2023
  3. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

4. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I stand corrected, it does seem that the sugar/creamer had lids!

5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Fifties. We weren’t really making these during and after the war. My grandmother had that set.

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The earliest reference I can find on the internet is in a 1949 issue of Far East Trade and Engineering.

Debora

Screenshot 2023-11-12 at 5.37.24 AM.jpeg

Gatoblanconz likes this.
  7. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I tried using a patent number search of 523,942 from a similar Everhot teapot, since I can't read yours, and came up with this patent application information from 1939 published 1940. It seems to be for the metal cover. I don't know exactly if that helps and if not the right one at least it's an easy page to access for searching.

https://patents.google.com/patent/GB523942A/en?oq=523,942

Improvements in, and connected with, thermally-insulated vessels, dishes and the like
    Abstract
    523,942. Teapots &c. ONIONS, B. B., and WESTWOOD, C. W. Feb. 1, 1939, No. 3339. [Class 66] A teapot a is enclosed by two hemispherical jacket members d, d' of metal, with felt linings e, e<SP>1</SP>, and having suitable openings for handle and spout. The two members are hinged together, and the upper carries the lid j so that the lid must be in place when the jacket surrounds the pot. The lid is secured by a screw k and nut l, which are axially bored to equalize pressure and ensure steady pouring.

Used the number from this listing:
    https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-art-deco-ever-hot-chrome-1777095933
    upload_2023-11-12_9-12-51.png

8. Gatoblanconz

Nice tray

9. Gatoblanconz

I've seen a photo of them with lids just like this for sale or sold on the internet.

Seems to be many for sale with out the lids so maybe the plastic knob on top shattered easily when knocked so they threw away the lid

10. Gatoblanconz

Draft saved Draft deleted