What do I have here? Vintage German Painted Glass Panel

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by gauntlettgems, Jun 6, 2022.

1. gauntlettgems

gauntlettgems Well-Known Member

8ED03FF8-CF5F-40A3-B6B4-5415B27DDE49.jpeg EF71C8D9-9340-4F1F-9BD2-BBD641CCAD13.jpeg 7BC5ED59-75AF-454F-A3C6-82D248138FC3.jpeg
    Hi,
    The German words up top say “live the farmer”. I think this is vintage The only thing I can think of is a sun-catcher but I don’t believe that is what this is.
    It’s approx 8” x 6” I can’t find anything like it. I’m probably using the wrong key words. I did try image search and nothing came up.

Help, please and thank you

judy likes this.
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The Life of the Farmer, or close enough. They're harvesting grain from the looks of it. There may have been three others depicting Winter Spring and Summer originally. No idea how old it actually is.

gauntlettgems and judy like this.
  3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Very popular in the seventies.

judy likes this.
  4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Hopefully it's fired on, but it's just as likely to be a decal. If it's fired on, it's durable. If it's just a decal, it could wash away.

gauntlettgems, judy and antidiem like this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Very popular in the 1970s as was that palette. Won't be old old as the woman's skirt can't be earlier than the 1920s.

Debora

gauntlettgems likes this.
  6. gauntlettgems

It does not appear to be a decal Is it a sun catcher? I have a second one with a stagecoach on it.

7. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Suncatcher, yes. Of course someone could take a piece like that and incorporate it into a larger stained glass composition.

8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Is that paint spatter on it? And hopefully, is it on the OPPOSITE side of however the scene was applied??? (paint or decal)....Smallish, but nice!!

gauntlettgems likes this.
  9. gauntlettgems

I’ll look at it again and let you know. It’s definitely not a decal

10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

'Vivat der Bauer' means 'long live the farmer'.;)
    Maybe a GDR thing? Glorifying farmers, miners, manual labour in general?

Draft saved Draft deleted