What do I have? Tablecloth? Minarets, mosques, camels

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by morgen94, Jan 18, 2020.

1. morgen94

morgen94 Well-Known Member

I would like to offer whatever this is as a free giveaway here, but would like to know how to describe it. Persian? Tablecloth? Some kind of prayer cloth? Mosques? Minarets? Age? It is ca. 46.5" square and has a 3" fringe

Thanks!
    PersianTablecloth1.jpg

PersianTablecloth2.jpg

PersianTablecloth3Bk.jpg

PersianTablecloth4Bk.jpg

PersianTablecloth5Close.jpg

PersianTablecloth6Camel.jpg

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Woven throw/coverlet/tablecloth, what you will. Yes to mosques and minarets, might be Turkish. I have Muslim friends who use these as furniture throws.

Sandra, Christmasjoy and morgen94 like this.
  3. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Christmasjoy and morgen94 like this.
  4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I don't think it's old enough to be a true piano scarf.

That isn't the Taj Mahal, looks more like Brighton Pavilion. ;)

Sandra and morgen94 like this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

6. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Yes, I think it is a loose depiction. But same general shape - large central dome, two side domes and 2 minarets toward the back.
    Taj Mahal.jpg
    Probably a European version of "this looks sort of Indian/Arabic". The ones I was finding were being called piano shawls, but nobody seemed to know where they were made. Most were also dated to the 1940s/WWII period.

7. morgen94

morgen94 Well-Known Member

Thank you all very much for the help. As long as I am just giving this away for free here, I assume it is OK to use everything to describe it. I will put it in the giveaway section later today and if there are any more contributions to the description I will add them, too. Thank you very much.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  8. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Most of the wall tapestries were made in Belgium or France during the 1920s.

I've always thought the piano shawls were from the same time period. So would it be unreasonable to think maybe these woven piano shawls originated from there as well?

Christmasjoy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted